How loud is your Retina MacBook Pro 13" keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by geoelectric, Mar 15, 2015.

1. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

I just exchanged my original rMBP purchase for a high-spec one after waffling for a couple of days with it unopened.

Upon cracking open the new one, I've found that the keyboard is rather clattery compared to my MacBook Air, 15" work rMBP, or even the Apple Keyboard on my iMac.

It's hard to describe, but it's kind of loose feeling and sounding, like when your finger lifts off you get a click. If you shake the laptop up and down you get a definite high-pitched shshshsh sort of rattle going on, maraca style. I don't get the same effect on my other MacBooks.

Thing is that it's not like it's one loose key--it's all of them. So it seems consistent, if not intentional?

I certainly don't mind exchanging, but don't necessarily want to send one to the refurb farm and get another one with the exact same issue and possibly a worse screen or something.

Can someone comment on this, especially who might have been able to compare previous models of the flat keyboard?

2. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

I agree with you. I just got my 13" rmbp and it definitely has a bit more clatter in the keyboard compared to my older 15"

3. geoelectric thread starter macrumors 6502

geoelectric

So, decided to take a chance and took it back for an exchange. Felt like a bit of a tool for being picky, but the one I brought home is miles and away better--it's more or less just like the other keyboards I have.

I'm sure it's within the realm of natural variation, but they're at least not all clattery-sounding.

As a bonus, the new one appears to have quite a bit less "solid state" noise from the SSD and graphics controller. The one I took back audibly hissed and crackled when you scrolled web content while Filevault was doing its thing.

4. Android300zx macrumors regular

5. geoelectric thread starter macrumors 6502

geoelectric

It really isn't. I have four other Macs in the house to compare to. There's no question whatsoever in my mind it's a significant difference.

6. Android300zx macrumors regular

Well good thing you got it replaced.

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Pretty loud, if i hit it with a sledgehammer.

8. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I agree with this.

9. geoelectric thread starter macrumors 6502

geoelectric

...says the people that didn't actually hear the keyboard...

10. technosix macrumors 6502a

Mine is silent. Same as my 15" MPBr.

Smooth fast comfortable and silent.

----------

I believe you, some of ours at work are noisey.

11. Android300zx macrumors regular

Awesome screen name by the way. If you didn't notice I'm part of the family too!

12. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

Don't listen to the deniers. My MacBook keyboard is silent if I shake it. The keys only make a sound if I touch them.

13. geoelectric thread starter macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Yeah, the replacement one is awesome like that too. Where I work it's typical for us to bring our laptops into meetings, presentations, etc, and be on them during. Having a clicky laptop keyboard in that setting would have been really limiting.

14. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Heheh
    Didn't notice because of the Android part.

15. peaceyall macrumors newbie

I just bought a new 13" macbook pro retina - my first macbook - and the keyboard is really clicky and loud. Please tell me this is not normal.

16. geoelectric thread starter macrumors 6502

geoelectric

I think it's normal in the sense that they vary.

That said, my replacement was a lot softer than my original, as were the ones in the Apple Store as far as I could tell. It was loud in the store, but the keycaps on the clicky one were noticeably more wobbly so you could kind of tell just by sweeping your hand across. The clicky one made a much more distinct rustling noise doing that.

I don't think it's a defect so much as there might be a variation in the keyboard parts on a batch by batch basis. All my keys were consistently looser than the keys on other Mac keyboards I have. The additional noise wasn't really in the key bottoming out so much as in the rebound--lifting my finger off made an extra little rattle.

Anyway, you can exchange anytime within 14 days of purchase. If it bugs you, you should do so.

17. nirajamu macrumors newbie

Yes, unfortunately I have one of these mid-2014 rMBPs and it has these very loose clattery keys. So annoying that the interface on such a prime bit of kit has such a disappointing feeling. I have compared to other MBPs and MBAs and this keyboard is looser than the 2013 versions and consequently feels 'cheaper'. I have seen other 2014 machines with these loose keys and one 2014 15" rMBP with the normal non-loose keys, the difference when compared side-by-side is undeniable!
    I am wondering if I can send my MBP in to have the keyboard replaced with a 2013 version.
    This is probably why Apple completely re-did the whole keyboard for the retina macs for 2015!
    Very sad to have paid so much to Apple only to have an under par experience with their product :(