How low will old Macbook prices go when the new ones are released?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mjmar, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I love the white Macbook, and couldn't ask for more. No matter what that is the one I will purchase. I just want to know if it's worth the wait to buy it after the new ones are released. If the prices on the refurb store go down $100 or less, then I don't care that much. But, if it will be a huge difference in price then I will wait. Based on past experiences, how low do the prices get in this situation.

2. cmuench macrumors member

Well I hope for my sake that the prices stay up. However the macbooks are selling like crazy now. That means their is alot in the market. I would say about 6months after the new ones come out their will be a noticable price difference. but it all depends on what the changes are.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Your supposition sounds about right. Macs aren't pieces of Dell; they hold their value for more than six months.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

How low will the price go? Depends on your buyer. :)

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Generally, I don't recall seeing huge price drops for the previous model when Apple updates an existing product

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Macs tend to hold their value pretty well. The prices will go down a bit, of course, but it's not like your mac will just become worthless.

7. mBurns macrumors 6502

I can't seen any MacBooks going less then $500 or $600. Especially when PowerPC machines are still going for $400-$500+. There will definitely be a $50-$100 drop in price when the new machines come out. That being said, it seems that all Mac models, whether they're Core Duo or any iteration of the Core 2 Duo don't seem to go under the $500-$600 point. It's all about supply and demand. There are a lot of people looking for a cheap alternative to purchasing from Apple and machines that offer a couple hundred off are what these types of individuals are looking for!

8. jaylay0707 macrumors member

i was just in the market for one, and i haven't seen prices fall under 800ish.. i'm curious where all these $5-600 intel macbooks are (???)

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

They'll go down about a hundred bucks. MB's are priced pretty low and
    there's less to lose than on a MBP.

But many don't want all the likely problems associated with a major new
    release, so the older proven MB prices will hold up well.