How major of a MBP update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wentwj, Jan 15, 2008.

1. wentwj macrumors regular

So, I've suddenly been thrust into the market for a MacBook Pro, and will be mostly computer-less in approximately 2 weeks. Given the MBA buzz, I'm guessing the MBP update will be a mostly silent update, with only processor and MB updates and the like.

So my question is, is there any rumors, or substantial speculation as to a more major MacBook Pro update being imminent. I guess I'm referring mainly to a case redesign, or a keyboard redesign. The MacBook Pro technically fits my needs fine, so if they update the processor a week after I order it I won't care much.

However, I've been using my MacBook for about a year now and have really come to love this keyboard. So I would be upset if a week or two after I bought it, the MacBook Pro update came with an update to the MBA style keyboard (so much so that I'd probably sell my MBP at a loss and pay the difference sadly, assuming I was beyond the return timeline).

So is it fairly safe that the update will be a purely processor/technical update, rather than a major redesign?

2. schreck macrumors regular

The general consensus seems to be that the next "update" to the MacBook Pro will (more or less) consist of a processor refresh, and, perhaps, a magnetic latch similar to that one found in the MacBook and MBA.

I'd say that they'd be a bit more prone to switch out keyboards/create a new case design when they switch to the Montevina platform and receive a new motherboard.

My two cents.

3. wentwj thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. I tend to agree, but since I've only been on the market for an MBP I wasn't sure if I was missing out on some scoop that people who've been waiting for months have been privy to. I suppose for me it ultimately doesn't matter as I'll likely be computer-less in two and a half weeks, and thus forced to purchase the macbook pro at that time, update or no.

4. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

That seems about right.

5. hohohong macrumors 6502

Maybe an update in Feb,.... then the Montevina update in June/July with all new design or carbon color version?

I can wish,... can i not? :D

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I suspect a more realistic timeframe would be sometime in late feb/early march... then another update sometime in october to cater for the christmas crowd.

I do not see it getting updated now and sometime in june around WWCC again.