How make song a ringtone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rated, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Rated macrumors member

Can you buy a song thur iTunes to make it a ringtone?

2. icanhazipad? macrumors member

yes, but I use audiko.net to get all my ringtones. It's free and really easy. I know there are other ways, but this one is all done in browser and, like I said, free.

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

Get Wiretap Studio, then iToner or maybe iRing. You'll be able to make any sound that plays through your computer an MP3, and then edit and convert it to a ringtone and easily upload it to the phone.

4. Rated thread starter macrumors member

Sweet, thanks guys.

Can you do this thru iTunes as well?

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yes, it is possible to do that. There are many programs that will let you make a ringtone. And even some apps.

However, if you have the song on your desktop just go to audiko.net and follow the 3 simple steps.

6. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Yes. There is also the free ringtone designer app which lets you make ringtones from songs and upload them to your phoone via iTunes.

7. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

If you are on a Mac I would recommend Garage Band. It even has an iPhone ringtone template, and you can export your song as a ringtone to iTunes when you're done and just sync your phone.

8. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I've a little app i've used once or twice called RMaker on my iPhone. Doesn't take much to figure out, but you do have to off-load the ringtone to your computer then load it back to the iPhone, as the iPhone won't let a regular App Store app modify/remove/add ringtones to the phone part of the iPhone.

As for doing it in iTunes -

If you've a Mac, you can get Garageband/should have it, and it's a nicer interface than doing it through iTunes from what I've been told. And integrates well (not surprising since they are both Apple programs).

In iTunes, select the song you want. Find where you want it to start and end by the time (note, max length without any tricks via other programs/etc is 40 seconds).

Right-click the song, and choose "Get Info". Go to Options tab.

Enter the Start and End times of the song for the section you want as a ringtone in the Start and Stop times. Make sure they're checked. After the next two steps, return and undo the check marks.

Play the song to make sure it's the right section (should start/stop at the entered times).

Right-click the song and choose "create AAC version" - this will make just the selected section an .m4a file.

Find the file and change that .m4a to a .m4r - drag and drop it to itunes, and there's your new ringtone.

Delete the entry for the m4a you turned to a ring tone (clicking on it should give the ! icon next to it) and make sure to undo the stop/start times on the original song.

9. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

You can also try myxer.com. They have iPhone formatted ringtones.

10. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Note, in the newest version they removed iTunes "Pay to create a ringtone" feature, IIRC. (so you paid for the song, and again for the ringtone X.X, but no more) If buying a song to make into a ringtone, make sure it's the iTunes + version (no DRM).

They might not sell the DRM'd version anymore, I don't know. I know ages ago I hit "Show iTunes Plus Only" because I hate DRM.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, I have thousands of songs I purchased on (gasp) CD, so I pretty much have months of free ringtones just waiting to be made.

12. ravenfire macrumors member

I tried renaming them to .m4r and I tried a website that was recommended on the forum. I can get them created, my problem is the iphone wont see them as ringtones when I try to set them in my contacts list. All I get is the default ones, what am I doing wrong?

Other than that, digging the phone so far.

13. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I don't see why so many people think that you need to pull the song into GarageBand to do this, there's a much (IMO) simpler way to do this using just iTunes and Finder/Windows Explorer (depending on OS obviously).

This is how I make all of my ringtones, works every time:

1. Make sure that iTunes import settings are set to encode in AAC.
    2. Right click the song you want a ringtone of in iTunes and set the song to start and stop where you'd like it to in the "Options" tab.
    3. Go back to iTunes library, right click and choose "Create AAC version"
    4. Right click new version of song that shows up, and choose "Show in Finder" (or "Show in Explorer" on Windows). Rename the file extension from .m4a to .m4r.
    5. Remove the new ringtone from your iTunes library, and change your song play times back for the original.
    6. Open the new .m4r file in iTunes and it will automatically show up in your ringtone section.

It seems like a lot of steps, but once you've done it once or twice you'll realize how easy it is and how pointless it is to throw away your money on any software that makes ringtones for you.

14. ravenfire macrumors member

I did all that, but when I transfer the music to the phone, I can't set them as ringtones.

15. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

If on Windows try iRinger. 100% free and it could not be easier. It automatically puts the ringtone in iTunes after it is done and then will sync over when you sync.

16. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

iRingtones in the Mac App Store. I think it might be free now.

17. DDustiNN, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

how does one take the finished ringtone and add it on the phone. There is no ringtone section.

19. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Simply open the .m4r file in iTunes, it will show up in "Ringtones" in your iTunes library (between Apps and Radio)

Then when you plug your iPhone in to sync, go to the iPhone in the sidebar, and look at the tabs at the top of the window, between "Apps" and "Music" is "Ringtones", go there and tell it to sync ringtones.

20. anechcka macrumors regular

I just tried this method 5 minutes ago and it worked perfectly:

http://mac.tuneclone.com/create-iphone-ringtones-using-itunes10.php

It's the iTunes method, so no need to do it in another program and no need to download anything else. Everything can be done right in iTunes, and it takes like 30 seconds. It showed up on my iPhone under ringtones right away. Hope this helps!

21. Jimcoleman1 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

So will this also work for SMS tones?

22. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

23. mo25 macrumors member

This is what I'm hating about my new iPhone vzw. On my Incredible all i had to do was long press on the song (on my phone) and I could set it to whatever I wanted, ringtone, contact ringtone, vm, text msg, email msg etc. It was so simple. Apple makes you do all these work arounds that should have be implemented from the get go. Pretty dumb.

24. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

The perils of a walled garden. :\