Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
So I just moved back to the city and I'm shocked at how many of my neighbours have wireless routers set up.

Before you freak out, Chewbacca is my network, I'm not stealing,nor condoning, stealing of internet access from anyone. I'm just curious as to who can pick up the most networks from their apartment/condo/house

Attachments

• networks.jpg
    networks.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 387

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
A little off topic, but being that so many people are on channel 6, you should try 1 or 11. There is a good chance you'll get better reception.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
only two showing up, but one of my neighbors is moving so maybe their wirerless router is packed. <shrugs> normally i see 3 networks.

seraphim is mine, obviously.

Attachments

• networks.jpg
    networks.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 109

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I usually only see my neighbors' network which mysteriously went from "linksys" to "Apple Network XXXX" a few weeks back. :D (I know my neighbors two houses down also have Macs).

At most I see 6 others in the neighborhood all but one other than mine are open networks. :(

B

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Four right now... "default" is mine. I added a password but never use the wireless (don't even remember the password) since my Powerbook died and my Mini is directly hooked up to my router. Gonna fix the Powerbook is the only reason I don't just turn the thing off.

Edit: Oh, and I HAD originally named it "Don't Mooch My Bandwidth", but I felt that could be taken as a challenge, so I toned it down.

Attachments

• networks.jpg
    networks.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 99

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Three including mine. One is hidden and while I use WPA the other two are encrypted with WEP.

The hidden ssid also seems to have a tonne of activity (it has 10+ wireless devices) which is weird because there aren't any businesses around or anything.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Showing three now, but there's four most of the time. It's really kind of amazing given that I live in a lower middle class small town neighborhood.

Yeah, what program is that showing channels? Is it a different widget?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 95

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
At the moment only my network shows up, but sometimes the wireless network from my school (i live right next to it) comes up. I cant connect to it though, even when Im at the school! :(

Our 'computer technician' has no idea how to configure Macs.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have 4 including mine. They were all open (not mine) until I passed out a flyer that listed their network name and told them. I don't care to use them, so I didn't care if they knew. I even helped one person secure theirs.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Just mine.

That's what you get in the hills. hollowed out sheep and no wireless networks. I suppose the radiation from the rocks balances out the wifi though!

kjr39

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
I had over a dozen when I lived in an apartment. One of them was encrypted (mine.)

In the house, I have 5, two of them are mine and are encrypted, Mac filtered, blah, blah. The other three are open.

Who leaves their networks open!?

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
kjr39 said:
I had over a dozen when I lived in an apartment. One of them was encrypted (mine.)

In the house, I have 5, two of them are mine and are encrypted, Mac filtered, blah, blah. The other three are open.

Who leaves their networks open!?

Judging from this thread....50%-80% of people with wireless routers. My last place I could pick up 5 networks, only one was encrypted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.