How many 2.5" hard drives can I run from a USB hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Christoffee, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Christoffee macrumors regular

Christoffee

How many 2.5" hard drives can I run from a USB hub?

I assume there is no theoretical limit, what I am concerned about is power. The hub I've linked to for example seems to have two charging ports. Does a hard drive need a "charging" port, or will one of the normal ones be enough?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Not enough information...
    Your USB hub link does not actually show the hub you are suggesting.

The practical limitation would be the number of ports that you have available, always assuming there is enough power available for multiple bus-powered drives.

I would be curious to know if "charging ports" are also data ports, or if those charging ports only provide power.

Why the question?
    How many 4TB drives do you need to have connected at the same time?
    A multi-device enclosure may be a better choice if you need to use more than 2 or three of those drives.

3. Christoffee thread starter macrumors regular

Christoffee

@DeltaMac Sorry for the bad link, but I think you get it. Maybe I'll buy and try.

As for how many, the situation has evolved into a Media drive, backup for that, and two backups of the computer (so 4). Two backups of the computer as it's the photos.

You're right, maybe a need to rethink. If it's too much bother could you point me in the right direction of an enclosure? I'm off to google...

EDIT: Like this bad boy?
    Hornettek X2-U3 Dual Bay USB3.0 hard drive enclosure HT-3210U3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CRC5L08/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_ybR-wb8KRDW8S

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I don't have experience with the multi-drive enclosures - I use a couple of different drives that I connect when I need to use them, then normally have those disconnected/off.

but, just a comment about the enclosure that you found. Looks like an older drive, as there is a firmware update from their site to support 3TB drives(!) You would want to do your homework if you prefer more storage than that. (But still, 3TB is a lot for most folks.)

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yeah, I'd definitely suggest rethinking that setup. Particularly the need to have three different backup drives all attached at the same time. That creates a degree of vulnerability you might wish to avoid.

Have you considered a NAS such as one of the SOHO oriented 2 or 4 bay units units sold by companies such as Synology or QNAP? A Synology DS216j is a nice little unit, add your own drives of the capacity you prefer.

(NAS = Network Attached Storage, SOHO=SmallOffice/HomeOffice)

6. Christoffee thread starter macrumors regular

Christoffee

@DeltaMac @deeddawg

Cheers guys, rethink in progress. I've been wanting to put the photos backup offsite, so this seems like a good time to think about that too.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My advice is ...
    ... only connect your designated "backups" when actually backing up.

If something ever went wrong, you don't want the backups connected. They could possibly become damaged, as well.