How many 3G calls do you drop a day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cjandnw, Aug 27, 2008.

?

What percentage of your 3G calls are dropped?

Poll closed Sep 16, 2008.
  1. none

37 vote(s)
    62.7%
  2. 25

13 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. 50

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. 75

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. almost all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cjandnw macrumors 6502

Since 2.0.2, I drop over 75% of my calls. It doesn't matter where I am. I have 4-5 bars of 3G, sitting at my desk and drop calls. Some calls I can not even answer; as they drop while ringing.

I have restored 2 times.

No better.

2. ssajous macrumors member

Lazy network search

Not only do I drop calls a lot since I "upgraded" to the 3G model, I also noticed that the phone is lazier at finding the network. What I mean by that is that I take the metro in DC to and from work, there is no network on the metro for ATT, but with my old phone, when the metro would come out of the tunnel, it would find service pretty fast, I do not care to count how many times I have had to reset the 3G phone to force it to find a network. I can be outside for 5 minutes in an area I know I should have coverage without getting any. I reset and it finds it. QUITE annoying!!!:mad:

3. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

I have dropped about three calls in the month that I have had the new iPhone 3G. They have all been on calls that were over 20 mintues long...seems like just about the 20 minute mark the phone doesn't like me and cuts me off...I can call the people back right away and it works just fine....

4. iNfowarrior macrumors member

Here is something I do not understand:

I have had my 3G since 7/11 and had no issues with dropped calls at all for over a month straight. NO ISSUES..............

RECENTLY, I have begun to full serivce, full bar dropped calls, 2 or 3 in the same conversation. This is AFTER first hearing about such issues and being thankful that mine was not like that................now its starting.

What is going on with the software updates or AT&T's network that is causing this? I mean are they kidding?

(Answer: No, they simply do not care. They (apple/att) are making an absolute killing off of iphone users and really couldn't possibly care less if there are problems. They can all be swept under the rug and dealt with case by case quietly. The majority of problems can simply be ignored since people are too self involved to actually complain)

5. Clyde099 macrumors regular

I have dropped calls almost all the time when I am at home.
    When I'm in downtown Chicago though, no calls are dropped.

6. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

i have been having so many that i turned 3g off till they get this messed straightened out.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I drop 1-2 calls a day, but I still voted 'none' in the poll.

All the places I drop calls are the same places I drop call on iPhone EDGE and on my old T-Mobile phone. Since those are established dead-zones for ANY cell phone I don't think they count towards your goal of measuring the 3G part of the phone.

As for "3G dropped but I can call on EDGE just fine," no, that never happens to me.

8. cjandnw thread starter macrumors 6502

9. Wakakanada macrumors regular

In addition to no dropped calls, my iPhone [with one bar] works perfectly in my downtown Vancouver underground parking whereas my Bell Mobility Samsung was never able to find a signal. This is a great thread as I almost decided not to buy an iPhone due to the online complaints of phone service quality. I do not doubt they are real, but this poll helps those trying to decide that, despite some problems, this product actually does work. [how well is, of course, the fun of the debate!];)

10. pj rage macrumors 6502

Yup, I feel your pain. I was one of the "lucky" ones with pretty much no problems at all on 2.0 and 2.0.1, but ever since 2.0.2 it's been app crash city sprinkled with 3g refusing to load data (not slow, it's fast when it works, it just flat out refuses to load anything). When the 3g is refusing to load data, the gps also seems to not want to work. I definitely can't wait for whoever's fault this is to fix it! (I'm guessing apple because I personally went from zero problems to many in the time it took to upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2).

With regard to dropped calls, I don't use the phone often enough to partake in your poll, but the times I have used it on 3G recently, it hasn't dropped a call. I did have a mysterious voicemail without the phone ringing yesterday, when I knew I have 3G service, though. Made me wonder how many other calls I've been missing who didn't leave voicemail.

11. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

LOL. Zero for me. Got my 3Giphone the second day of release. I only make 3 calls so far. I wish I can get a data only service. Keep the minutes rolling to next month...

12. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

0 dropped calls a day. My iphone 3g is great.

13. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I have had two dropped calls since I got the phone over a month ago, so I voted none. In hundreds of hours of talk time, that is perfectly acceptable.

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Since July 11, I have had only one dropped call, that was when I unplugged the headset during a call. That must have been a bug because it's never dropped a call doing it again.

My second phone has never dropped a call either since I've had it for two weeks. I love both of them.

15. justiny Contributor

justiny

My phone would drop most of my calls, so I turned 3G off. Now I don't drop any.