How many AirPort Express Base stations can you extend with?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Imola Ghost, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I've got a AirPort Extreme Base station and several AirPort Express base stations.

I can add the first AirPort Express without any issues its when I connect my 2nd AirPort Express station my entire internet gets disconnected. Not my AirPorts but my entire Comcast Xfinity connection gets disconnected. I don't think the actual internet is getting disconnected because all of the lights on the Xfinity modem are one and lit up. This tells me its still connected but the AirPort Base stations are getting disconnected.

So here's what I'm trying to do if this will help answer some questions.

I'm extending my network to the back of the house with one of the AirPort Express' and the other I'm using to connect my Sonos to be able to use AirPlay from my iPhone/iPad/etc.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong or if I can connect multiple AirPort Express' or what.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

There is no limit programmed in on the amount of extending AirPorts. That being said, having too many can be a major detriment to performance unless Ethernet is the backbone. Using Ethernet is the best connection, but a quick side note is that you cannot have an AirPort in extend mode connect to another AirPort in extend mode. If you had an AirPort Extreme (A) and two Expresses (B, C) both set to extend, even if one was farther from the Extreme then the other Express, it must connect back to the main base station.

The way your network should be configured is to have the AirPort Extreme like you do and then an Express set to extend. Then, the other Express connected to the Sonos should be set to "join a wireless network". Using both on extend would likely leave problems with interference.

One side note, I have noticed that this style of configuration is problematic unless the main base station is acting as a router and not in bridge mode.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You can connect multiple.
    My fathers house we have setup with a central Extreme, a express on the pool end, an express on the kitchen end, and an express in the basement. He used to be on comcast, an old moto surfboard.

My house I have an extreme in den. Express on patio, study and our front room.

But I cant imagine what could be wrong...