Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
I am new to Mac, I don't even have one yet but will be buying one soon (holidays) so I am learning everything I can about its features, and there are many.

One thing which really sounds great to me is Autosave, versions and resume introduced in Lion. However when I try to find out who actually uses it, besides Apple's own apps, I am dismayed because it seems most apps don't. e.g. Office, LibreOffice, Scrivener, a bunch of mail/note taking apps etc. Most of these implement their own save system.

I also found a bunch of threads (here and on Apple forums) on how autosave is not useful in practice - is this true?

For a feature so old, I thought it would be widely adopted. After all that is one of the main strengths of OSX AFAIK.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
A feature that saves every edit, even accidental ones, without asking the user, is one of the worst features I could imagine. And because some software supports it, and some doesn't, it's confusing. Add to that occasional hiccups that cause the autosave not to work, and you have a total mess.

I'm glad users have a choice in this matter, and needless to say, I have turned that feature off.

If it worked reliably and consistently, and was implemented across the board, I could imagine getting used to it. I can certainly see why some love it, but for the time being, I'll prefer having to click once to save a document.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Pretty much every office suite/note taking/document app implements an auto-save function, clearly its not a bad idea at all.

I was just asking why more apps don't use the features provided by the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.