How many are doing the "switch"?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Soura2112, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

To me the switch to adobe is a no brainer, just need the extra $. I was saving up just for After Effects, but now as you all know I can get AE cheaper in the switch program while getting even more apps. I need AE on my resume and hope to get into a class for AE. The way i do my work for my personal editing business FCX works pretty well, not as well as I hoped, though I love how it works with my camera, Premier works just as well too when I did my 30 day trial.

My maim reason for the switch is to understand all editing software, except AVID is a little pricey for what I do, again it would be great on my resume, just can't afford both at the moment.

I'm also lucky in a way that I only have Photoshop Elements from Adobe so it's a great deal for me. thankfully I have time to get the money together.

2. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

I've done the switch. Trying to figure my way around the 'quirks' (ie, why is match frame not working for me?):eek:

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I've been using AE, Photoshop and Illustrator for quite some time now, but I still haven't migrated out of FCP 7 as my NLE. And most of the reason for that has been existing projects.

I've been pondering picking up Premiere Pro for a while. I might jump on the deal Adobe is having for existing FCP/Avid customers, but I'll likely do the 30-day test drive first to build a general familiarity with the interface.

But with that said, I'm not in a huge rush to migrate. FCP 7 still works fine and from the point of view of a professional, it's costly (and somewhat risky) to migrate an entire editing bay with thousands of dollars worth of gear to a new NLE package, whether it be Adobe, Avid or whatever.

4. the vj macrumors 6502a

In my TV station we use FCP 7, After Effects, Soundtrack Pro for audio and Compressor.

With the FCP X stuff probably will start consider Premiere just because Avid is too expensive. We are looking into integration, having templates created between applications, like Motion with FCP. But we just have to time to learn Motion and After Effects is an industry standard and has all the features, is a great software.

For sure FCP X is not in the menu.

5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I've been working with Premiere CS5 this past week. I love how it integrates into After Effects, but the renders using Media Encoder blows. All of my exports have artifacts on one or 2 random frames. The only workaround that I could find was to import the sequence into After Effects and render from there, then I could get clean video out. I think I'm really going to miss Final Cut Pro.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I gotta say, it's a fantastic deal Adobe are offering right now, and it's at the ideal time too, what with the angered fans of FCP no doubt looking to move somewhere else after FCPX.

7. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Just give FCPX a chance, it's mainly geared towards the advanced iMovie users who want to step it up, but felt it was to burden some to use FCP... Apple has done a great job with this new release of FCPX.

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I gave it a chance. It's unusable in my workflow. My clients still require tapes, DVDs, multi cam projects, as well as mastered audio which requires files FCP X no longer supports...not to mention my backlog of 200 broadcast shows that I'm in the process of archiving, tweaking, re-editing and mastering. Was REALLY hoping FCPX would help me with that given how bloody fast it is...but it can't open any FCP7 projects so it's dead in the water from this professional's perspective.

That's not to say it doesn't have it's uses...:cool:

9. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Never used adobe

Until recently I never used adobe for editing, I tried the trials of AE and Premiere. I was impressed, still prefer FC7 except I was using a friends pro version, so I'm kinda stuck.
    IMO if oe can afford the deal I think it's just good all around. AE is key to me, but not an easy program for me at least. I jumped right in with Premiere, not much of a learning curve, then again I have always been just a simple editor, not using graphics that much, but I really want to learn so my projects look the best they can.
    Good to hear some have made the switch with some feedback here.

I may be crazy but I enjoy FCX, for some basic reasons, though many of you mentioned what's missing in in the program.

I know the switch sounds cheap, wish I would have known before some big purchases lately. Never thought adobe would sell at that price, even for a few months. Adobes pricing is one of the reasons I stayed away for so long, not just for editing programs but for almost every program.

10. pcmxa macrumors regular

pcmxa

Does After effects use a different engine than Media Encoder? I didn't realize that.

11. cgbier macrumors 6502a

The Media Encoder artifacts are a known issue. Quality wise, I still prefer Compressor with x.264 for web, even though it is not the fastest.