Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Curious how many are making the jump to series 3, and from what series you’re upgrading?

I’m considering going ahead and upgrading to the series 3 because I think I’d really benefit from the cellular. I’m curious as to the weight difference in the series 3 aluminum versus the series 1 aluminum. I had a series 2 stainless and had to sell it - the heavier watch affects a nerve in my arm (I know it sounds weird, but it sends a shooting pain that feels like it’s on fire up my arm, and I wear it as loose as I can get away with).

I’m trying to decide if the weight will be too much with the aluminum cellular version. I’d love a stainless but I know that’s out.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Curious how many are making the jump to series 3, and from what series you’re upgrading?

I’m considering going ahead and upgrading to the series 3 because I think I’d really benefit from the cellular. I’m curious as to the weight difference in the series 3 aluminum versus the series 1 aluminum. I had a series 2 stainless and had to sell it - the heavier watch affects a nerve in my arm (I know it sounds weird, but it sends a shooting pain that feels like it’s on fire up my arm, and I wear it as loose as I can get away with).

I’m trying to decide if the weight will be too much with the aluminum cellular version. I’d love a stainless but I know that’s out.
If there is a weight difference I can't imagine you would even notice it when comparing two sport versions. Stainless vs Aluminum, you did notice but two Aluminum models should feel the same.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Series 3
  • Aluminum case - 38mm
    • Case Weight (GPS): 26.7g
    • Case Weight (GPS + Cellular): 28.7g
  • Aluminum case - 42mm
    • Case Weight (GPS): 32.3g
    • Case Weight (GPS + Cellular): 34.9g
For reference:
  • Stainless Steel case - 38mm
    • Case Weight: 42.4g

• Stainless Steel case - 42mm
    • Case Weight: 52.8g
Series 1

38mm - Case Weight: 25g
42mm - Case Weight: 30g

Dave

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If there is a weight difference I can't imagine you would even notice it when comparing two sport versions. Stainless vs Aluminum, you did notice but two Aluminum models should feel the same.

If I recall correctly, the stainless model is actually 40% heavier over the aluminum model. But I found the aluminum model to be fairly light for my preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.