How many are waiting for the "Otterbox Defender" for IP4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by blkonblk17, Jul 11, 2010.

1. blkonblk17 macrumors 6502

I love the look of the IP4 naked. However due to my past experience with otterbox cases I do agree they add bulk but they protect the phone to it's fullest. Some people might not need such protection but I work all day in the street and need the most protection I can get. With that being said, how many are waiting for the release of the otterbox defender series?

http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-cases/iphone-4-cases/iphone-4-defender-series-case/

2. redlemons macrumors newbie

yeah im waiting for that defender or the ballistic. do u know when the release date is??

3. austin571 macrumors regular

I'm waiting also. I was told that it will not be out to mid August. They were not given an advance iphone dimensions so they could make the case.

4. NeonGreenHermit macrumors regular

Really hoping for the Commuter in green - selling my beautiful Commuter 3G/3GS green one. Have a feeling I'm going to have to wait MONTHS for a colour variant... :confused:

5. dthmtlgod macrumors 6502

I am waiting on it as well.

6. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I WAS waiting for the Otterbox Defender, but I needed a case for the summer so I ended up purchasing a Case-Mate Barely There in white. Maybe I'll upgrade to this case later on in the year :D

7. vitog123 macrumors 6502

yup im waiting.... loved the one i had for my 3gs

8. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

I have a SGP vintage ont he way for now but will use the Defender for work.

9. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac

I just bought the ballistic case, it seems to protect the phone better than my defender case. I can put pics up later if u guys want to see it.

10. Dirtdog macrumors newbie

Where were you able to purchase the ballistic case? I havent been able to find it.

11. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

How much did the 3GS Defender case run you? I might pick this up for the weekends I go camping (once a month).

12. Dirtdog macrumors newbie

Ive seen them at at&t for about $30 to $40 i believe

13. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

Not bad considering they charge that much for those crappy two-piece plastic things that fall apart pretty quickly.

14. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

Yes I am waiting for Otterbox to come out with its new cases!!

15. yourfriendjames macrumors newbie

I don't think the person was saying that the otterbox was the cheap, two-piece plastic case. They were saying that the price of the otterbox is good considering that the cheap plastic, two-piece cases run close to the same price.

16. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

Yeah I guess that makes more sense! Sorry about that!

17. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

People need to read and stop freaking out in every thread about iPhone 4. Glad to see a newbie who can do that.

I've never used an Otterbox, nor do I know anyone who has used one, but I know that they are known for their durability and shock protection. The iPhone 4 is super fragile, so I'm interested in trying one out. Is one model really that much more shock proof than another? I'd like the most protection in the thinnest available package. Hmmm...

18. Atenza6 macrumors member

I will probably get a defender because I think its good to have such a protective case especially when you are going to places that may result in your iphone getting dinged up like the beach with all the sand and at theme parks, sporting events. Whenever im at these type of places I dont want to always worry so much about my iphone dropping or scratching. The defender case for my 3gs allowed me to have the piece of mind to not have to worry so much under such environments. Coming from someone who likes thin cases like the feather or nude, this particular case was bulky, but to me it offered great protection when required.

19. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac

The AT&T store I went to only had one and it was $50.00 plus tax. It's definitely not a good looking case but I really could care less

20. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'm waiting to get my iPhone 4 until after I get the defender. I had already decided that even before all the issues people have been having.

21. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I've been waiting since day 1. I have a bumper now - I'm really hoping my phone doesn't get hosed before Otterbox comes out w/ something.

22. jkirton2 macrumors newbie

OtterBox releasing iPhone 4 case in September!

I spoke with OtterBox regarding their Defender for the iPhone 4 and it'll be released in September!
    I've attempted to search for a similar hard case for my new iPhone 4 and haven't found one that HAS BEEN MADE and AVAILABLE for purchase! So, I guess my phone will stay in it's box until September!

23. JROC453 macrumors regular

Your @$&"ing kidding me...right????

24. jkirton2 macrumors newbie

No, I'm sorry, I'm not . . . I'm in the same boat as you! REALLY wish that SOMEONE had at least had SOME rough illustrations drawn up so that these could go into production just after the iPhone 4 was announced!

25. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You might want to look into the Ballistic. It has the same multi-layer protection and has the same kind of screen protector. I looked at the you tube video, where one of their employees throws it against a wall and drops it from about 5 ft. After taking it out of the case again, it looked to be free of any major cracks. Because there were no close up shots, I can't say if there were any microfractures.
    edit: you may not like the design. It's a bit uglier than the defender.