How many bags / packs do you utilize?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macrabbit, Aug 25, 2011.

1. macrabbit macrumors member

Currently as a desk jockey driving to work, I have a cheap typical business laptop bag to carry my laptop and work items. Some life changes are going to have me doing some extensive traveling, as well as walking and/or biking to work in unfamiliar places, so I purchased the 13" MBA. Thus I would like to revamp my bag situation and am looking for ideas on what folks-on-the go find have worked best.

For example, as long as your not hard core biking everyday, are there good quiver of one packs that you can use for work, travel, around town, the gym? Or is it best to simply get specific packs? i.e. commuter strap bag for biking, small day pack or sling for travel/around town, hydration pack for hiking (the list could go on).

LOTS of choices out there and I get this is very personal, so I want to get a flavor of what works well for people and why? (I have been looking at packs from Timbuk2, Arc'Teryx, Gregory, and Osprey).

Thanks for your feedback, appreciate it :D

2. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

You might consider a Tucano Work-Out Backpack - WOBK-MB15. They are a nice quality and lightweight. There are several other styles. Try tucanousa.com for other choices.

Brenthaven is a good brand as well.

3. simply stunning macrumors regular

I have 3 bags that I use regularly. I have a gym bag, a laptop bag that is leather that also holds other daily items, and a backpack with a computer pouch for short trips out of town. The laptop bag and the backpack are very nice and professional looking, so no problem there. I personally have differnt days that require differnt items that I need to carry with me, so one bag wouldn't work.

4. glen e macrumors 68030

large Waterfield Cozmo bag when I have a full load of projector, ipad. MBA, speakers and presentation materials

small Waterfield Cargo when it's a day trip with the above, no MBA

Waterfield ipad travel express for day meetings without projector

A med and small "cableguy" waterfield for storing cables and cords

yeah, I won't have anything but Waterfield - they are that good

sfbags.com

5. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

If I am carrying the air by itself (with a few peripherals) I use a Tucano Work Out. If I need to bring more, I use a Wenger backpack that fits a ton of stuff.

6. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Are you folks concerned with putting your Air in bags along with other things? Even if it has a separate sleeve specifically for laptops, is there concern whether books or other weighty objects in your bookbag might put too much pressure on the Air when, say, laying the bag down?

I've read that even the slightest pressure can cause streaks or marks to appear on the screen from the keyboard imprint.

7. theConvinced macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I carry multiple bags and multiple items ie MBA, IPad 2, and an assortment of chargers. My IPad is in a pleather sleeve, with modem pouch, that is soft lined with rigid back, that slides into my Swiss gear back pack, on top of my Incase MBA sleeve that is neophrene with soft lining. That leaves me the large front pouch, middle pouch, and top pocket for everything else. Either of the two inner bags can be pulled in a hurry and used for short term transport like a gym trip or appearing at a client in "lean" mode. I am always conscious of what goes in bag, how it's laid down, etc but when you have $2k + in your bag I would assume that's a given. Myadness has even suffered a Diet Coke burst in the bag and none of the machines even knew due to the layering. Just had to wash the bag.

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

When I first got the MacBook Air in early 2008 I purchased a sleeve to carry it in. The sleeve fit my first upgrade in late 2008. And now it fits my 2011 model.

I use the sleeve when I'm traveling locally with my MacBook Air, or if I'm just going on a quick trip.

The sleeve is no longer made, so I can't post a link.

When I really travel I have a Tom Bihn Ristretto that can hold both my MacBook Air and my iPad. The Tom Bihn bags are very flexible and you can add more storage pouches as you need them.

I typically carry...

• iPad (With Smart Cover)
    • MacBook Air (With Sleeve)
    • 3 chargers (iPad, MacBook Air, and iPhone)
    • Small portable USB 2.0 HDD (Seagate GoFlex)
    • USB thumb drives
    • Apple Superdrive

It all fits in the Ristretto very easily.

9. New2MacOS macrumors member

Tumi backpack [slim solutions] for daily use--I usually carry my iPad2, MBA 11, and work stuff

Tumi T-pass [medium screen slim] for one-day trips--the bag unzips into 2, which allows me to quickly go through the airport screening, and this is also more secure because I don't have to remove the MBA (or anything) out of the bag.

When I am using a roller bag on long trips, the MBA is inside the Booq Viper. Hope this helps.

10. dubAdub macrumors member

I'm just sliding the MBA 13" into the padded envelope the Apple Care manual came in and putting that in beside my hated Dell laptop I use for work. :D

11. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

Way too much!

Gfeller diamond creek for daily use,
    Tom bihn synapse
    Swaine adeney briggs's westminster wrap ss
    Fogg e-flat for my portable canon ip100 printer
    Tom bihn pilot
    Eagle industries Becker patrol pack
    Eagle industries molle patrol pack
    crumpler something

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have the Osprey Raptor 14 (as in 14 litres), cycle, go to work, go to the gym, hiking, etc.

I posted this in another thread already, but I carry my 11" MBA inside the independent 3 litre water-bladder pocket. I rarely ever use it anyway, so this has worked out really well. I can even use my Be.ez LA Robe sleeve (best sleeve, IMO) and stuff it in there.

Also, that pocket is rigid, because it's one of the features of that Osprey bag --- the pocket doesn't deform and put pressure on your water-bladder when your primary backpack compartment is completely full.

I think the Osprey 18L, or Talon bags may also work for you. :)

I recently went to a conference in Darwin (Australia), and brought my Osprey backpack with me. It's yellow, but nobody cared. When I had free time, i went to the beach beside the Convention Centre while carrying my MBA, and even had it when touring through Litchfield National Park. Because it's a backpack, the pack still felt lightweight and easy to carry. :cool:

Then again, I also have 2 other "regular day" bags:

1. A Manhattan Portage messenger bag:

[​IMG]

I love it, but I think the Crumpler Pinnacle of Horrors, or the Crumpler Barney Rustle messenger bags are better for everyday use.

Manhattan Portage bags are sturdier than Crumpler, but it's not like I work in a mine-field or anything.

2. A light brown-green canvas shoulder bag. It's the balls, but I don't have a decent photo of it. I carry this thing to work almost every day. I just throw my laptop (with LA Robe sleeve) in this bag, and can even carry gym clothes, or my swimming stuff. ;)

13. Built macrumors 68020

I use the Timbuk2 Commute 2.0 Messenger Bag for both my 2010 MBP 13 and my 2011 MBA 13. I actually have one bag for each and keep all the required items for each laptop separately so if I grab a bag, I don't have to transfer cables, mice, etc.

The Timbuk2 Commute 2.0 is perfect for me because I go through airport security checkpoints frequently and I just have to unzip the portion that contains my laptop and lay it flat on the conveyor.

Inside the Timbuk2, I keep my MBP and my MBA inside a Be.ex La Robe sleeve for added protection.

The Timbuk2 Commute 2.0 offers plenty of room for my MBP 13 (or MBA 13) PLUS my iPad, a couple of books and all necessary accessories.

Great bag. Timbuk2 made some sizing changes in the last year and while I ordered the Timbuk2 Commute 2.0 Large LAST year for the MBP, the NEW model MEDIUM actually is the same size as the previous LARGE.