Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saaketham

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Typically, how many cases do you go through in 2 years for an iPhone? I seem to buy whatever works as soon as I get the phone, to prevent scratches and to protect from falls, and then, newer and better-looking cases start coming out, and I buy a different one. My max is 3 for my iPad 2 - tried the Apple iPad 1 case which fit like a very loose glove, then a hardshell protection deal, and finally went with a thin translucent back snap-on shell and the smart cover. If only I'd known what I really wanted - could've saved $60. :-(

Jordan9

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2011
Texas
Since getting my iPhone 4 last August I had 4 cases for it. 1 Otterbox defender, then a speck candy shell, a free black bumper, and last an iFrogz case.

With my iPad 2 I have bought 2 cases if you count the smart cover as a case. I bought the smart when I bought the iPad2 then two months later I bought a Saddleback Leather case for my iPad 2 and have only been using it since.

Now with my iPhone 4S I have 2 cases for it. A new designed Otterbox Defender when I need that protection and a Saddleback Leather sleeve for 98% of the time I carry the iPhone around.

navindralr

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
i've gone through at least 12 cases....

incase snap on, incase perforated snap on, couple of bumpers (apple, sgp), incase sliders, sgp linear, speck candyshell, etc...

just bought the graft leverage... looks cool... i like to switch it up.

willyfromphilly

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
i like to switch it up too. for me, since everybody has the same iPhone, I feel the only way to differentiate yourself is with the accessories. I probably go through 1 every two months or so, and keep changin it up.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I got my iPhone 4S white on the 1st day and I think I've purchased around 10 cases thus far trying to find the perfect case for me. I've sent a few back that I didn't like upon receipt. I have a few right now that are my favorites and will probably stick with them providing they hold up well. My current case is the Case Crown Glider which I really like and it was such a tight fit that I'm rather anxious about trying to remove it. I will work on that this weekend with the help of my husband. When I asked Case Crown for tips on removal it was recommended to have two people pull - one on the case and the other on the phone and then to spread it apart to stretch it a bit before putting it back on the phone.

The one that would be my totally favorite if they made it, would be a white Desmay. However, they don't make a white case. I'm pretty much finished with purchasing as I have 2 more cases to try out once I get the Crown Case off. So Desmay or Pinlo Slice 3 let's see a white version for the 4S!

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
I've had one case on my iPhone 4, since I got it. Don't plan on getting any others.

I get the cheap generic silicone kinds off ebay, don't need anything else. ;)

rockametrics

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
0. I bought too many with iPhone 4 and sold them with the phone. Ended up not being happy with anything other than SGP shield on front. I've wasted a lot of money on cases.
Black Bumper-Free with Case Program
White Bumper
Speck HD Pixelskin-Free with Case Program
Speck Fitted
SGP Neo Hybrid EX Silver

I bought a PDair Croco holster and just keep the phone in there.
I like the Sena leather sleeves as well.
Phone is too beautiful for case IMO.

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
gosh! I went through 2 cases for my iPad til I finally got the one I had been wanting all along but didn't want to spend the money for it(shakes head) and for iPhone I purchased 2 different cases, the second one by mistake..I thought the top part near auxiliary port was open so that I could use my cord( its one of those big ones) but it wasn't so I had to remove the front every time I wanted to listen to my music or tunein radio. but then I found the one! it's a red mophie juice pack and I LOVE IT! it's a case and extra battery! a dual purpose case!

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Usually around 2-3. I like the Contour Showcase which I had for my 3G and my 4. Only problem is Contour, as a company, sucks and they take their sweet old time in releasing cases. I'll generally get one throwaway case the moment I get my iPhone just so there's some protection. Once the case I want comes out, I'll get that and I'll also get another case as backup (usually Speck) or if I find some dirt cheap deal on a case elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.