How many charges until "full" battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Unprocessed1, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Just got a new 13" nTB MBP, and I'm averaging about 5 hours on 60% brightness and web browsing. I've only fully charged the MBP about 3 times so far. How long does it usually take to calibrate the battery and start getting full battery life after charging?

2. malikkamran macrumors 6502

malikkamran

3. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

honestly, my battery life increased the more and more I used the machine. Turn down the keyboard backlight, turn off auto brightness and kill Siri. Then just use it and charge and drain a few times and I think you will notice a big difference. Doesn't hurt to do the SMC reset as well like poster above mentioned. I've had mine on ALLLLLL day today, with a lot of internet surfing since 7am this morning, I mean a lot of usage like me purposefully trying to drain it by the type of usage I do daily (internet youtube etc) and it's 11PM and I still have 37%. Hang in there it should get better, if not take it back try another one.

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Cheers for the advice. I'm just using mine with the same settings as the 2015, and not turning anything off as this new model is not suppose to have worse battery life, though so far seems 2015 is much better. Need more time with it
    --- Post Merged, Nov 24, 2016 ---
    I'm all fairness that is really poor for a new product, that you need to do a fresh install, not saying you are wrong , seems to have worked for some

5. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I've had my nTB MBP for several days now, and my battery life is still not even close to 10 years. There's no way I'm reinstalling Sierra, the laptop shouldn't require measures like that to simply perform as promised by Apple.

6. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I'm averaging 8-10 hours after my third charging cycle. I tend to keep screen brightness around 50-60% (auto-brightness off) and keyboard brightness down low at 20-30 %.

Play around and find what works. If nothing is getting you to decent battery lengths, return the unit.

7. chabig macrumors 68040

I disagree with his recommendation. It makes no sense at all that replacing an existing OS with a new copy of the same OS would change anything.

8. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

It's my belief the issue with battery life IS the OS. Not sure Sierras power settings are completely optimized yet. Hoping a tweak or update will give some minor relief to the battery life issues people have had. With that said the machine I am on gets a consistent 8-9 hours, sometimes more (light use). I think this will work out over time, but people should for now, lower their expectations a little of getting 10 hours. 8-9 is still not bad when you think about it. 6-7 not so much. Anything less at this price point is unacceptable.

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I'm running a 2016 and 2015 on handbrake at them moment , Both from 100%.

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

How many times have you checked to see how long the battery actually lasts (and not used the on-screen battery life indicator as your source for that information). As there is still some system optimization going on over the first few days of use, you should begin to see improvement in both system responsiveness and battery life.

Just as a matter of interest, every Mac that I have ever owned has had a first step of erasing/reinstalling, even though new out of the box.
    As a matter of principle, I don't trust the original factory image. I don't have any proof of problems (or even fixes), but just my habit.

However, if you are already using the system - both a PRAM and SMC resets can help out with that process of moving forward toward better battery life.

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

So I ran a 2016 2.7 and 2015 2.8 on handbrake.

I stopped when the 2.8 2015 hit 50% battery left, at the same time the 2.7 2016 was at 26% battery .

When pushed it's clear the 2015 has a superior battery, if you use it for light browsing and light use, you may very well get similar to 2015 battery, push it with intensive work, the thin design gets exposed.

Happy to run any tests with the two machines .

12. supajam macrumors newbie

My battery appears to be improving on my non touch. I got around 5 hrs on the first 2 cycles using just safari (1 - 2 tabs), mail, calendar and iTunes, all be it at 75-80% brightness. I'm now on my 4th cycle and the battery has only dropped 2% in 30 mins whilst on a similar load. Definitely pleased with that!