How many cores to configure on Parallels 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kgallag1, Sep 1, 2011.

1. kgallag1 macrumors member

Hi, all

I have one of the newer model 2.3GHz quad core 17" macbook pros. Given that it supports hyperthreading, is it possible to configure, say, 4 "cores" for Parallels? I think this was asked once a while back, but I didn't see the thread, so couldn't remember if it was asked for parallels 6+

Ideally, I would like to assign 3-4 cores to my windows VM, if I have any CPU intensive tasks to run, and would like, when not, to be able to run 2-3 VMs, each with 2 cores. Is this possible with a core i7 hyperthreading CPU?

2. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

I am running Parallels 7 on my Core i7 iMac.

I have two CPU's (4 cores) assigned along with 2GB memory. It appears to work well, and it is FAST.

Would like to read about other configurations and results. Anyone ?

3. kgallag1 thread starter macrumors member

parallels and cores

At the moment, I'm running steady on 3 assigned cores with 1 gig of video RAM and 4 gigs of RAM. So far, working really well. I ran 3dmark06 and hit about 7500 points (native Bootcamp is around 10000, so that's pretty solid).

I probably won't shift it to more than 3 cores (doubt I'll ever need that much).

I'm using a 2011 quad core 17" macbook pro

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I run it with 1 core, 1GB of RAM on a new MBA i7. It runs very fast and very smooth. Windows 7 32 bit.