How many dead pixels warrant a return?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by agkm800, Nov 3, 2010.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Usually, how many dead pixels warrant a return and exchange for a refurb? And, does the # of dead pixels tend to increase over time - say, within a year?

2. Shoot macrumors regular

just one dead pixel warrents a swap at the bar. they arent a stone wall, the genii are people too and understand. Explain, be nice and they'll swap it out for you. The refurbs are usually better than new too :)

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You don't need 100... All you need is one and apple will take care of it for you.

4. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

The official Apple Policy

Well as luck would have it, the official policy from Apple has been leaked to the public. For the iPad, 3 dead pixels constitute a defected product, which they will replace. However, if you have one or two dead pixels, you can still get it replaced, but you will only be allowed to so once, even if your replacement is also defective.

Here is the screen shot of their policy: http://www.bgr.com/2010/11/03/apple’s-dead-pixel-policy-revealed/

I've had an anti-glare film on my iPad, which I just took off yesterday, and low-and-behold, I've discovered one dead pixel near the center of the screen. I'm not sure if I'll bother taking it to the genus bar yet or not. It's not that obtrusive, but knowing it's there is annoying.

5. SA22C macrumors regular

It's worth noting that sometimes what people think are dead pixels are actually specks of dust/dirt under the screen. Any amount of dust/dirt under the screen warrants replacement in my experience, even on my 13-inch MacBook Pro which recently had the upper lid/screen assembly replaced to fix some dust specks that somehow wormed their way into the display.

6. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Can a speck of dust work it's way more than 2 inches from the edge of the screen? I have what I thought was a stuck pixel, but I can see it even with the screen off. I would think a stuck pixel would only be visible with the screen on.

I had an anti-glare film on the screen since it was new, and I just removed it because I was missing the brilliance of the bare screen. But now I can see this speck that just can't be wiped off. Seems trivial to ask for a replacement, but it's so annoying. What would you do?

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Don't believe anything you see about the "leaked document". These are simply guidelines to prevent abuse by ultra picky customers.

Speaking from personal experience, Apple will exchange it over 1 dead pixel, and this was from a 24 inch cinema display. They also credited me $179 for the inconvenience. Just be very polite and they will do a ton for you.