how many decices can i connect to my mini??

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ivnj, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ivnj macrumors 65816

I read here mini is only 85 watts. Doesn't seem like a lot. So safely how many devices can i connect to my mini. There are only 4 usb ports but with a hub I can add more. But I don't want to overload my new i5 2.3 mini.

2. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

Ust use a powered USB hub and you're good. And even if you don't - you loose the power in the USB ports, but you still can connect many decices via passive hubs.

3. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

So I will fry the usb ports if I connect too much??

4. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

Nope, no damage whatever you do.

5. eutexian macrumors regular

I needed 5 for total convenience - my monitor has two powered USB sockets - so I use 3 on the mini for full time connections the fourth to connect to the monitor and the two on there for 'temporary' connections - this suits me and means the mini itself never needs to be touched and most conveniently I don't need to fiddle round the back of the mini to plug in SD cards - I use the usb on the monitor. Marvellous.

If i didn't have this then i would buy a powered hub instead.

6. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

I have the same setup. Its a staples 19 inch monitor. Usb cable goes into the monitor and then back of my mini. 4 usb ports built into the monitor. If I turn off the monitor while leaving a flash stick in for example and then turn it back on it says disk was improperly ejected. So it is definitely powered.

7. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

Yep, powered hubs work great. I always use at least 9 USB devices on my MacBook when at home, it's no problem at all.