How many devices can a AirPort Extreme handle

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jfoley89, Oct 14, 2013.

1. jfoley89 macrumors regular

Ok so I'm just wondering how many devices a AirPort Extreme can handle? Say if I plugged a 48port switch into one of the Ethernet ports on the extreme would it be able to cope if all 48 ports had something running on them?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It should. I think it has a limitation on 54 wireless devices. I'm not sure if that is a hard or soft limitation, but it's referred to within its documentation. I'd imagine that you could have about 253 total, mostly wired, running from one Extreme active as a DHCP server before you'd have to reconfigure the DHCP settings to permit more.

3. jfoley89 thread starter macrumors regular

So if all the devices were hard wired to the switch it shouldn't be any problem at all? Thanks for the quick reply

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think there will be any problems. I've never done it, but I think the worst that would happen is there may be some slow transfers that go through the Extreme when all 48 ports are active. Just remember that the Extreme is marketed as a consumer product and may not have the most robust abilities for heavy data connections with a large network like that.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It will work fine. If the devices will be getting their IPs via DHCP, make sure your DHCP range is large enough.