How many drives on G4 iMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dirkblaze, May 14, 2016.

1. dirkblaze macrumors newbie

Hey! I have a 17" 800mhz G4 iMac I love that holds my itunes collection and other stuff. It has a 750mb HD I added. I'm getting a 20" 1.25ghz machine and looking at upgrades for that.

I’m trying to figure out if the controller can support three drives; the optical and two 2.5” drives I think I can install in a device like this: http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-T...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER that holds two 2.5” drives in a 3.5” cady, or, in some other way, fitting two 2.5” drives with required cabling etc into the space for the 3.5.

But my question is will the controller support three units? I know my old G4 towers did.

Thanks if you can help!!!

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The iMac G4 has a single ATA controller that supports two ATA devices. Normally one is the hard drive and the other is the optical drive, although there's no reason why you can't replace the optical drive.

Early ones don't-by default-support drives larger than 128gb(if you have a larger drive, you simply can't access the extra space). There are ways around this.

A 1.25ghz iMac has native "big drive" support. As far as I know, IDE drives weren't made in any size larger than 750gb, and even those are fairly uncommon. 250gb or so is the largest relatively common size for IDE drives. You can use IDE-SATA adapters, but due to packaging considerations you could probably only fit one to the drive in the optical bay.