How Many Drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aminadab, Jun 25, 2012.

1. aminadab macrumors regular

I have two ssds in my PCIe slots and the drive that came with my MP. I'd like to get two more hard drives for music storage. Will this be ok? Or is there a limit to the amount of disks OSX can handle?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No limit that you're likely to reach in your lifetime.

3. aminadab thread starter macrumors regular

A beautiful response. Thanks very much!

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

What would be the theoretical limit?

5. topmike macrumors member

I think the maximum is a limitation of the overall file system, and it is in Exabytes (EiB).

For Mac OSX Lion-

It's 8 EiB max per file and 16 EiB Max volume size in HFS+ ...

It's 16 EiB max per file and 16 EiB Max volume size in ZFS ...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As far as connected devices, Firewire can support up to 63 devices on a bus. Thunderbolt can daisy-chain up to 6 devices. USB hubs reach a practical limit in that even if all the drives are AC powered on a USB hub, the bandwidth would slow things to a crawl after enough devices are connected. Then there are network drives. It's tough to say how many overall could be supported, but you'd encounter performance or physical limitations long before you'd reach any limit from Mac OS X.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The 6 device T/Bolt limit doesn't restrict you to one drive per device either...Pegasus, and other Thunderbolt enabled boxes can contain many drives.....R4 = 4X1TB drives counts as one device, daisy chain two and you have 8X1TB drives etc.

There is a company making boxes whose name escapes me, but it's in a thread here somewhere, with a full box capacity of 48TB....Daisy chain 6 of those and you have 288TB...:eek: OP: if you get to that level of storage I'm sure we'd like to know!:)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Ahh! Just what I need for my massive collection of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" remakes! :D

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep, 288TB should be okay....Might be borderline for ya though...:D:D

10. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

But there is no limit to what OS X can handle?

I was just "playing" in the Apple store. Promise makes 48tb drives, with Quad 8Gbit/s Fibre Channel ports. Starting at $28,999 USD.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not that I'm aware of.
    Let's see... 6 of those... carry the 5... add the 9.... Hmmmm.... I think I'll just leave my collection on my iPhone for now! :D

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm waiting for the MP refresh....Although who knows when that will happen...If the iMac gets a sensible update on ML's release, I may add an R8 to the existing R4 setup...Since getting it, I have had little regard for space...Shooting a lot more RAW data, and of course slowly filling the Pegasus. 48TB, yep, sounds great but the price doesn't....Mind you, just checked the price on the R12 for fun...Seems the price isn't so bad if you look at it that way:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/H5187VC/A/Promise_Pegasus_R6_RAID_System

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I just ran across this, which I found interesting:

So that 288TB would fill 10 such towers! I sure don't miss paper!

14. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

And think about the transfer and read/write speeds! :eek:

Aren't we all?

15. flatfoot macrumors 65816

That picture would also imply movies in paper form. Just imagine everybody's movie collections as made of paper, i. e. flip-books.

That would make the help of another person necessary to watch a movie comfortably – might be a bit embarrassing depending on the movie content...

16. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Astonishing isn't it? My printer gets used for Photo printing and also acts as a card reader since it reads just about every card on the market. The day's when I used to print invoices, manuals etc. are long gone...The thought of 21 filing cabinets fills me with horror to say the least! My filing system used to run to 3 large shelves each with 10 file boxes on them....Now I have just 3 of them for insurance policies and appliance documentation...Everything else is electronically stored. just adding up the amount of storage I have over the 3 Macs and including the R4..it runs in at 7 and a quarter TB (the 256 from the MBA) I remember the day when 20MB (yes folks MB) in the old 286 machines was standard....Wouldn't even get an OS to run on that now. Old DOS 3.1 on floppy.....Glad those days are behind us now, but It does illustrate just how match care was taken with data storage in those days. Dot Matrix printers clattering apace and giving endless headaches....Ahh nostalgia...:)