Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
I have roughly about 30 DVD's which includes all the classics like Indiana Jones Trilogy, Matrix Trilogy, Back to the Future Trilogy, Godfather Box Set.

But I haven't bought Star Wars yet :eek:

Recently bought from Woolworths UK:

Shawshank Redemption (£2.73) Great film
Robing Hood: Men in Tights (£2.73) and
Along Came Polly (£3)

I'm a movie nut so I love films - I only buy them when the price comes down below £5 :D

This conincides with the idea of :apple: TV - I can finally be at peace that I have the original DVD disc unharmed in storage ;)

I came across this site on Wikipedia
List of films preserved in the US National Film Registry

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I own all of the Seinfelds (up til season 7) and all 3 LOTR Extended edition (60 dollars each) and many other classics like Airplane 1+2 (Funniest freakin movies) Animal House Mind of Mencia Jaws and lots. Fun fun :D

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Do pirated ones count? If not I have 3 at the apt, much more at home but I don't *own* the ones at home. I mainly rent from Blockbuster :D

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
168 in total but some of them i have leant to people and have never got them back. The wonders of Delicious Library :D And i am looking to grap Shawshank. Awesome film

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
My wife and I are video junkies... more DVDs than we have time to watch...

Current count is 373, although that counts box sets like Indiana Jones and Star Wars as 1 so the total number of DVDs is slightly higher. We need to stop watching regular TV so we can catch up on DVDs...

Most of the movies now come from the budget bins and less than $10. Some we pay full price for but that usually requires having seen it in the theatre, and that honor is reserved for only 2-3 movies a year now...

We'll start getting better about that when the kids get older.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
WOW that's alot of DVD's :eek: Do you have enough storage room for them?

We have a cabinet capable of holding somewhere in the neighborhood of 500+ DVDs with a couple good child locks on the doors. We've also got room for another 90+ in the entertainment center.... We're good for awhile especially given the slower purchasing we've been on since kids entered the picture.

These have been acquired over the course of the last 9 years as well so it's not like we've accumulated all of these recently. It only works out to like 3-4 DVDs/month when you look at it. Still quite a bit of money sunk if I think about it too much but everyone wastes money on something...

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
DVDs are all washed up. I sold off most of mine on eBay for whatever I could get last year. I use Netflix now and never watched a DVD I bought more than once or twice anyway, so I figured purchasing the disc to be a waste of money.

It's 1080p or nothing from here until 4K becomes standard.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
a fair few....

Delicious Library :)

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 245

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I was looking at that a while ago, but decided not to buy beucase of the price but was it a good buy?

Man it is such an amazing collection... I'm gonna have to write up a page on how good it is right here.

To start, the extended edition takes all deleted and cut-down scenes, and adds them into the film istelf. There are several great scenes in the movie that were removed to cut down time in the motion picture, but they make the story all the more interesting when put into the DVD. Between the 3 movies, there is at least an hour of added scenes.

If you are into special features, these are the way to go. Each film has two disks filled with loads and loads of special features. They go all the way from the making of, to how they made all of the monster sounds and fighting sounds in the movie to where (mostly in new zealand) they filmed each of the locations. They reveal so much about the movie that makes it so much more fun and interesting to watch

I not even getting started with all the specical features.. which by the way put together between the 3 movies is getting near a full 24-hour day worth of footage... but it is so exciting to watch as boring as it may seem to hear being described by me... just wow.

So pretty much if you really appreciate the movies or are curious about them AT ALL just go buy these. It is by far the best DVD purchase I have ever made.

And for those of you who don't care so much about any of these... they come in these cool colored cases and it looks really professional compared to the ad-ridden original DVDs that aren't that much cheaper to begin with.

And for the record, the DVD's are in widescreen, and there are no advertisments and antipiracy warnings and (I think) even no FBI warnings that we are all acustomed to. These are the grand slam for LOTR. So go get em' :)

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
It's kinda true that alot of money gets wasted on buying DVD's. I know I have wasted a bit... especially when I tried selling some on eBay. The prices are so low (at £0.99) that after paying fees, you don't earn anything.

The one thing that I was angry at was that I sold a couple of DVD's which were in brand new condition at £1 each, because there were too many people selling them. I sold Cold Creek Manor and there were at least 64 other ebayers trying to sell theres.

The value of DVD's is just too low - they depreciate too quickly. :eek:

The odd thing is that I'm too paranoid to even buy second hand DVD's off eBay bacause I would be thinking about scracthes on the disc itself.

Well if I did buy I wouldn't have wasted much anyway on them. Just my 2 cents

Man it is such an amazing collection... I'm gonna have to write up a page on how good it is right here.

Wow I really appreciate your explanation. LOTR is an amzing and beautiful film. Even my mother who never watches mainstream films asked me to go and take her to see it. And I was shocked her talking about it.

Let me see if its available in the UK...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.