How many emails do you get from companies you opt out from?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by steve knight, Dec 2, 2009.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I get so tired of checking or unchecking the do not email me box when I order something or sign up. then to only get emails from them a month later. then some of them their unsubscribe service does not work. after that the email goes into gmails spam folder.
    I bought a ACP ups you had to login to get updates and of course I said I did not want to get emails. so of course I get one. I unsubscribe to only find another today for their reseller's. I did it again and 10 minutes later get a different one.
    gmail has a nice feature that lets you unsubscribe and put the email in the spam folder all at once. Now how convenient is that?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I'm not surprised about another message 10 minutes later. Even the sincere opt out option won't prevent that. It's a matter of timing. You send the opt out request, they have to process it. But, some are certainly ignored.

3. splitpea macrumors 6502a

The legal requirement is that they remove you from the list within a certain period of time -- I believe it's something like 10 days (for various reasons, some more innocent than others, not everyone uses a fully automated system for unsubscribes).

Doesn't make it any less annoying, though. I've blacklisted a couple at the ISP level when their unsubscribes (from things I'd initially opted into) failed after repeated attempts and several months. If they are ignoring unsubs or don't realize their unsub mechanism is broken, well, then maybe not getting any of their mail delivered to users of the largest ISP in my region will be a wake up call.

And then there are *******s like Yahoo, who change their terms of service, start sending you email again, and conveniently fail to mention that you have to log in again and re-set your opt-out preferences.

Hm, or maybe they were just covering for a data-loss incident. :p

4. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

but the message was not on the list of of things that i was not subscribed too. there was only one and that was the retailers list. seems like you remove from one you get on another one.