How many fonts should be in /Library /Fonts?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bluedoggiant, Oct 26, 2013.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Hi all. Just made a few mistakes with my new macbook pro and accidentally deleted all the fonts from the /Library /Fonts folder. I think I reinstated them all but I'm unsure. I have 230 fonts in that folder now, is that what everyone else has? Granted they haven't added their own? Thanks all.

2. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I recovered from backup but it was being weird. I had 117 fonts or something in it, went into Time Machine and it found 229, but then later went back and it was showing me 230 at a random time, but the time before it was like 113. It was very bizarre. If you haven't added any fonts to your "all users" library could you check to see how many files you have in there? Thanks!

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I'm afraid I have lots of extra fonts in there, so can't easily tell you.

However: if you don't use them, does it matter? Everyone like collecting fonts, but really you only need a small handful. If you do use them, then you'll soon know if they're missing.

The ones that OS X relies on are in /System/Library/Fonts, and you can't [easily] delete those.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have no idea, because I installed office and photoshop, both of them throw a ton of fonts I don't need. Its safe to say I have a gazillion :(