How many GB left on new iPod Touchs?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hajime, Oct 16, 2009.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. For hard drives, usually they come with less GB than advertised due to formatting and pre-installation of OS as well as application softwares. How about the new 32GB and 64GB models? Do they come with exactly the same amount of memory as advertised? If I do not put too many songs and videos, I wonder if 32GB would be enough. Not sure the size of typical applications for the iPod Touches. Thanks.

2. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

My 32 GB one came with 29.3-29.6 GB of memory available.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

That is pretty good! Thanks for the info.

4. celticpride678

115 KB-89 MB depending on what the app is and what it does. Averages are somewhere around 10-15 MB per app.

5. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I'm trying to determine if the 32 GB will have sufficient memory and I was just going to ask the same question. Thanks!

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

You are welcome.

7. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

I have a 32GB and I have at least 85 apps, some over 100MBs.

Trust me, you can fit a crap load of apps. As of now I have around 6GBs of apps. Whether you install small apps under 50MBs, or decide to buy Myst, which I think is around 700MBs, it'll fit.

8. Kimba macrumors member

Kimba

Thanks! I've been looking all over for exactly this info. My Palm Zire 72 died so I've been looking at getting either a refurb 16 GB Touch or the new 32 GB Touch. Currently, my iTunes library is just under 14 GB. So, it sounds like I should go for the 32 GB model.

9. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Yeah. And chances are, your library will still be growing, so the 32 GB model would be your best bet.

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

32 is your best bet. if you got some change...get the 64 :]

11. joshuarobi macrumors regular

I've got a new 32gb touch. With about 3500 songs, about 250 photos from iphoto, and 3 app screens full I have about 10gb left over.

12. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I read somewhere that somebody chose the 64GB version instead of the 32GB version because he thought that once the storage was reaching the limit of the maximum allowable physical memory, the iPodTouch would become slower. Is this true? I could imagine this could be the case for hard drive. However, the iPodTouch are using flash memory. So, the speed should not change even the physical limit of the storage size is approaching. Any idea?

13. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I've heard the same thing. Although I just ordered a 32 GB and will be running it full most of the time.

All of my mp3's are encoded at high bitrates, so they use twice the amount of storage as the average user. Whatever space is left over will be used by videos.

14. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Mine has 59.42GB

I just bought a new iPod Touch 64GB. It came with OS 3.1.1 and only 59.42GB remaining. In other words, about 4.6 GB are gone. Compared with DrawnToLife who bought the 32 GB model with less than 3GB gone, is this normal? What make the differences?

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The amount of GB that go "missing" is proportional to the size of the hard drive. That is, the larger the hard drive, the more GB would go missing. If a 32 GB is missing 3 GB, then I'd expect a 64 GB to be missing 6 GB, so missing only 4.6 GB is less than expected, actually.

16. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

But the IPT has flash memory, not hard drive. How come the larger the hard drive, the more GB would go missing? That is interesting.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It doesn't matter if it's flash or hard drive, it's the same principle. Basically, there are two different ways to measure hard / flash drive storage space, and drive manufacturers use one way to advertise how big their drives are, but your computer uses the other way to measure actual usable storage space. I'm not good enough with math to explain the relationship between these two measuring systems, but the "missing" space is proportional, so if 10GB advertised is actually 9GB usable, then 100GB advertised is only 90GB usable. (These are just made-up numbers, I'm really not sure what the actual proportions of advertised vs usable storage space is.)