iPad mini How many GB? rMini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Reinke, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Reinke macrumors newbie

Hello Macrumors :)

I have decided to buy the rMini, and i'm now wondering if i should go for the 16 or 32 size.

My main uses would be surfing, reading, gaming and also some specific apps for anatomy. Normally i would go for the 16gb version, but im hearing retina apps take up a lot more space. What would your advice be? :)

2. shadowjeff macrumors regular

If you have spare cash, you can never go wrong with 16 gb. But as long as you don't feel it up with music or movies, 16 should do fine if you manage your apps well.

3. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

I would suggest the 32gb depending on the type of gaming you do. Certain games are quite large. For example... Real Racing 2 HD = 1.1gb. Air Supremacy = 884mb. A few games like this take up a lot of space.

Other apps can eat away at your storage pretty quickly:
    GarageBand = 723mb
    iMovie = 675mb
    Keynote = 534mb
    iPhoto = 343mb

Your anatomy apps may be large if they have a lot of photos / drawings.

If you want to watch any movies when you travel, most movies are about 1gb in size.

I just looked at my 32gb iPad. Looks like the system takes up about 2-3gb of the memory.

Hope that helps you decide.

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

If you're going cellular, I'd say you're fine at 16GB (assuming you're able to stream all your media). But if you're going to be needing to put media on it, I'd definitely say at least 32GB.

But nevertheless, games/apps are indeed getting quite large these days. So I'd probably suggest 32GB regardless.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Not sure why I opened this, but though it was another thread about the 1gb ram.

Some good answers above. If you scroll down through posts from the past week, you will find hundreds more answers to help confuse you. Actually, you will find hundreds of posts, with thousands of answers.

Good luck

My answer - get the 32.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

It's always nice to have more room (storage) but not so nice to pay 100 bucks more. But really comes down to what u wanna do with your device.

7. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

If you run out of space with 16GB, you'll be bummed you didn't spend the extra $100. If you do with 32GB, you'll think you need to manage your media better.

8. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

How many GB? rMini

Definitely 32gb. You actually only get about 12-13GB on a 16gb on most iOS devices. I have an iPad air. 32GB gives me 27.5GB of useable space. You will fill up "16GB" of storage pretty quickly I think. It will be useful for the extra storage in the long run.

9. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

Not a fan of letting Apple rape me on extra storage ($100) form32 gb, so I always get the basic 16gb

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I've never heard anyone complain they had too much space. Get the biggest one you can afford. These things are not upgradeable.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have a 16GB rMini. I have approx 123 apps, 3 books on it, handful of pictures. No email. No videos. No music. I have about 3GB storage remaining.

OTOH I also have a 64GB Air which has about 1,000 photos, 25 books, 50 or so various PDFs (some one or two pagers), 100 songs, 2 videos, and 153 apps. I have about 20GB remaining.

Personally I find 16GB can be constraining but as a secondary device could not justify spending another $100 more. If it was my one and only I'd def go for 32 or 64, depending on what you will keep on it.

12. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

My first iPad was the 64GB gen 1 iPad and I never came close to filling it, so when I bought my mini last year I considered the 16GB, but last minuted opted for the 32GB version and I'm so glad I did.

I use mine for school reading PDFs (mostly), and of course I like to play games on it (it's a fab gaming device) and I've found that 32GB isn't enough for me, that I have to pull apps off so I can put new ones on, or when I've got some new books I need to put up (reference or cookbooks - have to admit it's a great thing to have in the kitchen!) I'm have to shuffle stuff around. I use Dropbox and GoodReader to help manage data shuffling, so it's very doable, but more storage wouldn't be unwelcome.

Get the most you can afford and enjoy the device, I love my gen 1 mini and can't wait to upgrade, one of the best devices I've owned!

13. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I was stuck between a rock and a hard place when I had to decide this... I ended up going with the 64GB as I always want to be prepared in case a game comes out that I really want that ends up taking a whole lot of space. Also, I tend to be an app hoarder and download buy apps when they go free or on deep discount.

I've had 64GB iPads and iPhones ever since the beginning of their time. I was almost set on a 32GB iPad Mini Retina, but at the last minute I decided I would probably have this one for at least 2 years so I wanted to make sure it was prepared for anything that may happen over the course of the next 2 years.

I have yet to completely fill up a 64GB device as I am not much of a music/movie person, but looking at my past history with my devices 32B would not have been enough.

14. Reinke thread starter macrumors newbie

Allright guys, I have just purchased my new iPad mini with retina.

And.... I went with the 32GB version, your arguments were convincing :p
    Thanks for the answers, I appreciate your help :)

15. kalt macrumors regular

You'll be amazed how quickly you run out of space.