All iPads How many GB up to a month is not abuse please on a iPad? Talking about wireless provider

Discussion in 'iPad' started by max2, Feb 5, 2019.

1. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Hard to call any amount abuse with deprioritization in effect. Cell company knows what bandwidth is available and the large users get cut back before anybody else.

2. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Yep. I expect when the carriers cancel service, then that's what they consider abuse. :p

3. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Yes. It is unlimited data....not unlimited high speed data. That is where they get you. But once upon a time they did offer unlimited high speed data. Those were the days. Now it will cost you in excess of $700 a month.

4. tps3443 macrumors regular

tps3443

Yea, that all came to a stop too. I think people’s children, or grandchildren were using tons of data. Next thing or know, they’ve got a $1,000 bill lol.

Best I’ve seen so far is this new Verizon unlimited above plan though, for me anyways. You can use 75GB 4G LTE, then another 20GB 4G LTE in hotspot until you are finally deprioritized.

I’d say roughly 100GB a month is good for most house holds.

The problem I have is, we have no good home internet options where I live. I cannot get cable internet, I can’t even get DSL.. So, Hughesnet satellite internet is my only option. But, the largest plan is only 50GB with uncapped speeds and that runs $150 a month plus additional usage fees, and equipment leasing fees.

Some one could really hit gold if they offered a 5G mobile internet option with large data plans available. Because it just doesn’t exist, unless you live in major cities.

If they would just offer 5G hotspot devices with say maybe 100GB/200GB/300GB data plan options..

5. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I’m in roughly the same situation: I live out so far in the wilderness that there is no other internet option. I tried satellite internet but it was so unreliable I cancelled it.

6. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Lol, we use around 500GB a month at home. Granted, a lot of that is Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming. However, software and security updates (including multi-gigabyte updates for console video games) do use a sizeable chunk, too.

Heck, it seems like my iOS devices alone use 4-5GB per week for app updates.

7. KFantomas macrumors regular

KFantomas

I guess it depends on where you are, here at France, for 20 bucks you get 100GB at 4G/LTE.
    However you can burn 100GB pretty quickly depending on how heavily you use your iPad.

8. tps3443 macrumors regular

tps3443

Well WiFi is different. I think this thread is referring to mobile internet usage. We just moved, and I did had cable internet that was 1Gbit. I was downloading several terabytes per month. So around 2,000GB a lot of times..

Are you downloading 500GB on 4G LTE? What data plan do you have?

PC games are massive! Just the desktop shortcut file size is 5GB haha lol. That’s what I was downloading a lot of. On Steam, and Origin.

9. Zenithal, Feb 9, 2019 at 11:28 PM
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019 at 11:35 PM

Zenithal macrumors 604

Most I've ever used was roughly 60 GB.

Yep. We use this.

Still wouldn't use Apple Music.

10. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

I thought you were talking about using cellular data for home internet? For home internet, I don't think 100GB would suffice for a modern household.

11. tps3443 macrumors regular

tps3443

It really doesn’t. But where I live it has been a struggle with internet providers.

We have hughesnet, and Verizon above beyond.

I spend $270 a month total for a measly 145GB in data during the day, and 50GB extra during the night. So 195GB in total every month.

We have restrictions, but it works for now. This is my only option.

My internet is a car payment. No phones on there either, only data.

12. ThugFreak macrumors newbie

ThugFreak

Is there any difference between your (grandfathered) AT&T $30/month "unlimited data plan" & the one currently being offered? Did AT&T add: "after 22GB of data usage, AT&T may slow speeds" to yours?

[​IMG]

13. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

Forgive my short reply. I’m on the road and will try to answer better if needed. I can’t tell you the technical terms for the plans but I can confirm they are different. My wife and I are on the grandfathered unlimited and our daughter is on the newer unlimited. Her video streaming is different and she has been throttled. Even though I pay more for her to have what att called “truly unlimited”.

14. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Yes. You have it made where you are. Here in the US it is a money grabbing scheme to extract every last penny from your mobile internet wallet

15. ThugFreak macrumors newbie

ThugFreak

Yes, we in the US (and Canada) are getting raped.
    In Germany, it's about $15 a month for unlimited everything.
    In Moscow, it's 950 rubles for a month for premium satellite tv (141 channels), premium unlimited home internet (300 megabit speed) & cell phone service (500 mins, 500 sms, unlimited LTE data).
    That is $14.44 a month for everything (including taxes & fees).
    There are cheaper & "a la carte" plans too.
    https://moskva.mts.ru/personal/mobilnaya-svyaz/tarifi/vse-tarifi/all-mts

16. KFantomas macrumors regular

KFantomas

Yeah I've hallucinated when I one looked at Canada's carrier plan, like 100$ for 10GB, wtf