Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Hard to call any amount abuse with deprioritization in effect. Cell company knows what bandwidth is available and the large users get cut back before anybody else.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Hard to call any amount abuse with deprioritization in effect. Cell company knows what bandwidth is available and the large users get cut back before anybody else.
Yep. I expect when the carriers cancel service, then that's what they consider abuse. :p

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
No carriers currently offer unlimited data. They make you believe that, and it usually is unlimited at 3G or slower speeds. But in reality if you go over a certain thresh hold with any carrier your speeds will be capped and slowed to turtle speeds incapable of hardly watching a video. The fastest I’ve found with the highest allotment is 75GB through Verizon.

They can say unlimited because, once you reach your limit of say 22gb, they limit your speeds to usually 3G. So, you could download as much in 3G as you wanted. So, if you started downloading on the 1st of the month in 3G speeds, with constant downloading day in and day out without stoppages you’d be lucky to see 200GB-350GB downloaded at the end of the month.

But that first uncapped fast 22GB could be used up downloading one large file in just 4 or 5 hours. So, that should give you an idea how much they really slow your speeds.

Yes. It is unlimited data....not unlimited high speed data. That is where they get you. But once upon a time they did offer unlimited high speed data. Those were the days. Now it will cost you in excess of $700 a month.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Yes. It is unlimited data....not unlimited high speed data. That is where they get you. But once upon a time they did offer unlimited high speed data. Those were the days. Now it will cost you in excess of $700 a month.

Yea, that all came to a stop too. I think people’s children, or grandchildren were using tons of data. Next thing or know, they’ve got a $1,000 bill lol.

Best I’ve seen so far is this new Verizon unlimited above plan though, for me anyways. You can use 75GB 4G LTE, then another 20GB 4G LTE in hotspot until you are finally deprioritized.

I’d say roughly 100GB a month is good for most house holds.

The problem I have is, we have no good home internet options where I live. I cannot get cable internet, I can’t even get DSL.. So, Hughesnet satellite internet is my only option. But, the largest plan is only 50GB with uncapped speeds and that runs $150 a month plus additional usage fees, and equipment leasing fees.

Some one could really hit gold if they offered a 5G mobile internet option with large data plans available. Because it just doesn’t exist, unless you live in major cities.

If they would just offer 5G hotspot devices with say maybe 100GB/200GB/300GB data plan options..

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Yea, that all came to a stop too. I think people’s children, or grandchildren were using tons of data. Next thing or know, they’ve got a $1,000 bill lol.

Best I’ve seen so far is this new Verizon unlimited above plan though, for me anyways. You can use 75GB 4G LTE, then another 20GB 4G LTE in hotspot until you are finally deprioritized.

The problem I have is, we have no good home internet options where I live. I cannot get cable internet, I can’t even get DSL.. So, Hughesnet satellite internet is my only option. But, the largest plan is only 50GB with uncapped speeds and that runs $150 a month plus additional usage fees, and equipment leasing fees.

Some one could really hit gold if they offered a 5G mobile internet option with large data plans available. Because it just doesn’t exist, unless you live in major cities.

If they would just offer 5G hotspot devices with say maybe 100GB/200GB/300GB data plan options..

I’m in roughly the same situation: I live out so far in the wilderness that there is no other internet option. I tried satellite internet but it was so unreliable I cancelled it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Lol, we use around 500GB a month at home. Granted, a lot of that is Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming. However, software and security updates (including multi-gigabyte updates for console video games) do use a sizeable chunk, too.

Heck, it seems like my iOS devices alone use 4-5GB per week for app updates.

Reactions: baypharm

Antares23

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2014
Chartres, France
I guess it depends on where you are, here at France, for 20 bucks you get 100GB at 4G/LTE.
However you can burn 100GB pretty quickly depending on how heavily you use your iPad.

Reactions: max2

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Lol, we use around 500GB a month at home. Granted, a lot of that is Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming. However, software and security updates (including multi-gigabyte updates for console video games) do use a sizeable chunk, too.

Heck, it seems like my iOS devices alone use 4-5GB per week for app updates.

Well WiFi is different. I think this thread is referring to mobile internet usage. We just moved, and I did had cable internet that was 1Gbit. I was downloading several terabytes per month. So around 2,000GB a lot of times..

Are you downloading 500GB on 4G LTE? What data plan do you have?

PC games are massive! Just the desktop shortcut file size is 5GB haha lol. That’s what I was downloading a lot of. On Steam, and Origin.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Most I've ever used was roughly 60 GB.

Verizon allows me 75GB of 4G LTE at top priority! And I’ve tested it, I used 68GB last month. It was fast! Never ever slows down until your past 75GB.

It is the Above Unlimited plan $95 a month.

I brought my own device too, a single unlocked iPad.

Yep. We use this.

Still wouldn't use Apple Music.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Well WiFi is different. I think this thread is referring to mobile internet usage. We just moved, and I did had cable internet that was 1Gbit. I was downloading several terabytes per month. So around 2,000GB a lot of times..

Are you downloading 500GB on 4G LTE? What data plan do you have?

PC games are massive! Just the desktop shortcut file size is 5GB haha lol. That’s what I was downloading a lot of. On Steam, and Origin.
I thought you were talking about using cellular data for home internet? For home internet, I don't think 100GB would suffice for a modern household.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I thought you were talking about using cellular data for home internet? For home internet, I don't think 100GB would suffice for a modern household.

It really doesn’t. But where I live it has been a struggle with internet providers.

We have hughesnet, and Verizon above beyond.

I spend $270 a month total for a measly 145GB in data during the day, and 50GB extra during the night. So 195GB in total every month.

We have restrictions, but it works for now. This is my only option.

My internet is a car payment. No phones on there either, only data.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Is there any difference between your (grandfathered) AT&T $30/month "unlimited data plan" & the one currently being offered? Did AT&T add: "after 22GB of data usage, AT&T may slow speeds" to yours?

img_0002-png.810469

Forgive my short reply. I’m on the road and will try to answer better if needed. I can’t tell you the technical terms for the plans but I can confirm they are different. My wife and I are on the grandfathered unlimited and our daughter is on the newer unlimited. Her video streaming is different and she has been throttled. Even though I pay more for her to have what att called “truly unlimited”.

Reactions: ThugFreak

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I guess it depends on where you are, here at France, for 20 bucks you get 100GB at 4G/LTE.
However you can burn 100GB pretty quickly depending on how heavily you use your iPad.

Yes. You have it made where you are. Here in the US it is a money grabbing scheme to extract every last penny from your mobile internet wallet

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
And they should have clearly-stated policies saying when and how they will throttle your usage.
For most plans, wasn't it "may be throttled to 2G/3G after 22GB"? Thing is if they actually throttle or not depends on network congestion and it's not like we have access to network traffic data.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
For most plans, wasn't it "may be throttled to 2G/3G after 22GB"? Thing is if they actually throttle or not depends on network congestion and it's not like we have access to network traffic data.

If they consider you as subject to throttling after some particular usage, they should state what the threshold is. I can look at my Sprint account and see what my current usage is for the billing period. They may not throttle due to low network congestion but I want to know when I’ve become a candidate for throttling.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If they consider you as subject to throttling after some particular usage, they should state what the threshold is. I can look at my Sprint account and see what my current usage is for the billing period. They may not throttle due to low network congestion but I want to know when I’ve become a candidate for throttling.
Verizon: 22GB
AT&T: 22GB
T-Mobile: 50GB

Never really bothered checking Sprint's limits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.