How many GBs does your iPhone backup take on your MacBook Pro and how to reduce it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

0. I use Android and they backup to the Goggle cloud.:)

3. htc fan macrumors 6502

So your iPhone's running android

4. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Wow, what a tremendously helpful post for this thread!

To OP, my 256GB iPhone 7 Plus's backup takes about almost 12GB on my Mac.

5. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

How to reduce it ~ backup to iCloud.

6. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

You can keep the backup files on an external to save space on the internal. Just connect the external when you want make a backup.

Basically you create a backup folder on the external. Then have a symlink in the ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync folder pointing to the backup folder on the external.

Here is one link explaining although I think that makes it seem much more complicated than it is.

7. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Are you using only 12GB on your iPhone 7?

8. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Sorry, should have specified. There is about 130GB of data on the phone. Lots of music and photos, primarily.

9. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

My understanding is that iTunes backups only backup what it absolutely needs to. if you have a lots music, apps and films purchased from iTunes it will simply put lists of these in the backup, since when you do a restore it can re-download them. So I assume if you have a lot of your own material it will back it up. So the space used in a backup will vary according to source of the content.

10. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

Correct... and that is why I mentioned earlier to the OP an iCloud Backup will suffice.

11. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Agreed. iCloud backup is fine and avoids the problems of using local storage, but of course will anyone over the free iCloud allowance. My reply was really throwing light on why local backups might vary a lot in size, depending on content.

iCloud backups contain health and activity data automatically. iTunes backups don't include these unless the backup is encrypted.

12. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

13. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Do you also have backups from your other iOS devices listed in your sig?

I have also found that sometimes multiple backups are saved for a device instead of only the most recent backup. I called Apple and they said I could delete older backups, if desired, in order to not waste the disk space. You can check the status of iOS devices backups and delete them by launching iTunes and checking Preferences...>Devices.

14. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Normally each time you back up your iPhone it is an incremental backup of the previous one, but there are sometimes good reasons why you might want to "archive" a backup, done by right clicking the backup in iTunes prefs. This means that back up is preserved (has a date next to it), and that the next backup is a whole new one instead of incremental.

If you have more than one backup on the same device it may be an archived one, which if you don't need any more you can delete in iTunes.

Because the backups are incremental, the size will grow as you do more, so you could delete the existing backup and do a fresh one.

Your backup may be large because you have a lot of your own material on it as my previous reply in #9.