How many generations band compatibility?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by joealanjones, Mar 14, 2015.

1. joealanjones macrumors member

How many generations of :apple:Watch do you think the current bands will be compatible with?

I'd like to think that if I spend all that money on a link bracelet, I will get a few years out of it. (It's inevitable I will upgrade to G2)

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Knowing how slow Apple moves.
    I would suggest you could be looking at 5 years easy if not 10.

They can change the case and still keep the band slot, would take a MAJOR change to cause and problems.
    I'd suggest the band connector has been designed to stay the same for a long long time

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No one really knows. Any guesses would be just that a guess.

4. joealanjones thread starter macrumors member

Do you not think they would change it intentionally to force people to shell out more?

5. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I would give it a minimum of 5 years but it is probably much longer. The only thing that would make them change it sooner is either a patent issue or there is something about it that turns out to be flawed so a radical change is required.

Yes, it could get so thin they will not work but the basic form factor should not change. I personally do not want a watch so thin the mechanism will have to change. And from the looks of it, the watch could get at least 30% thinner without changing the strap design.

----------

The way to get people to shell out more is bringing out more nice bands. They could be like the Swatch and bring out a limited edition designer band each year that some would collect.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling they won't be doing a re-design for at least a couple of years. Since they are marketing this as fashionable product, I could see them really pushing the bands as a way to keep costumers coming back to further customize their watch.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I don't think even Apple is stupid enough to do that until after a few years, them being able to demonstrate that in order to further improve the product, they had to change the band connector system.

EG:

The new Apple watch 6 is such an amazing enhancement from the old model, using the latest developments in case construction materials and design, that you are going to want to select new bands for it.