All iPads How many Google maps can I download to my iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Denis54, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Denis54 macrumors member

How many Google maps can I download to my iPad?

For instance, could I download the maps of New York, Chicago and Los Angeles and access them offline?

2. outphase macrumors 65816

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The mapping function of Google maps is not downloadable. You can download areas of a map, but not entire cities, like you want.

Make a map available offline

4. Denis54 thread starter macrumors member

Please help me understand what you mean when you say "Google maps doesn't really work that way"

I can save a given map by taping "OK Maps" in the search bar. Can I save only one map at a time or can I save more than one?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the link I posted.

6. Denis54 thread starter macrumors member

I did read your link. My understanding is that your article talks about the previous version of Google Maps for Android where you had to choose " Make available offline".

In Google Maps for iOS you have to type OK Maps to save a map offline (I think it is the same with the newest version for Android)

Your article says that you can save 6 different maps to a device. Is it the same for iOS devices?

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

It means it doesn't work that way. Google maps doesn't allow for massive map downloads. The intent is for neighborhood level stuff. Of which you can do six.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're absolutely right. Thanks for catching that.
    Yes, it's the same for iOS. Here's the link for iOS: View maps offline (iOS)
    Here's a recent article that gives a bit more info: http://www.wired.com/2014/02/offline-google-maps/

9. Atrin1 macrumors regular

this is great. i was not aware of this feature.

10. Gozar macrumors regular

Gozar

11. Denis54 thread starter macrumors member

If I can download 6 maps to my iPad how can I manage them?

For instance, I have downloaded the map of Beijing where I am on vacation right now. Once I leave I will not need this map anymore. How can I delete it? I would not want it to use disc space uselessly.

Is there anywhere I can see a list of the maps I have downloaded and how much space they use?

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

I think when you have no internet connection, it shows you which maps you have available.

To delete all of them, try this.