How many guys buying the modern buckle?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Pinksteady, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

So there have been plenty of comments here about the fact that the modern buckle is "for women", or at least from the more open-minded, "feminine".

I'm a 32yr old male and still probably buying it in black with the 38mm SS watch. My wrists are 175mm. I like smaller understated watches and the modern buckle looks more, well, modern and I don't really like the idea of putting a boring old classic buckle on such a new device.

Just interested in if any other guys are also going for the modern buckle?

2. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

I would if I were getting the 38mm version. A larger buckle doesn't make the band feminine. Can you imagine someone saying belt buckles follow the same rule? A statement like that would be hazardous to your health if you said so in Texas...

My guess is certain demographics (cough...teenagers) are a little immature when it comes to gender identity and are looking for some differentiation where none exists. Apple didn't design anything to be masculine or feminine, so there's no reason to treat any band or case size like they did.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I take it you think well-known tech blogger John Gruber is an immature teenager as he called the Modern Buckle feminine?

We have plenty of threads (including a poll) on this. The OP simply wants to know if there are any other guys who are actually getting the Modern Buckle. Not to hear from people saying they would or wouldn't.

4. czecho7 macrumors member

czecho7

Yea, I completely agree with you. I think Apple specifically designed Apple Watch, and all of the watch bands, to be very gender neutral and to appeal to as many people as possible.

I love the modern buckle, but I'm getting the 42mm watch. I'm a little disappointed that the modern buckle won't be available to me, but having the larger watch is more important to me.

5. gcooldude86 macrumors 6502

My mind has been back and forth on the modern buckle and 42mm link bracelet. I got a few days to make my final decision.

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Get what you like. I don't think very many people are going to stare all that hard at the buckle of your watch band of all things.

7. gcooldude86 macrumors 6502

I agree, most people won't care about the band you wear. Any of the attention will be the watch itself not the band.

8. dannn macrumors regular

I am still undecided. I like the functionality of the buckle, but personally do think it looks a little feminine

9. Pinksteady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

After all that I've now decided, thanks to a very decided opinion from my wife, to go with 42mm! So no modern buckle for me, although I was still undecided about it.

I think my concern was not that it looked feminine but just that it looked 'big'. If I chose the 38mm watch it would have been because I wanted a smaller, understated watch, and the modern buckle didn't seem to complement that philosophy due to its size and amount of metal.

10. dannn macrumors regular

So 42mm and classic leather strap? Leather Loop?

11. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I WAS going to get it (black modern buckle,) but, two things put me off.

1. Water. I intend to use my watch in the shower, as I always have. I also don't want to change my band just to deal with sweaty situations.
    2. I remembered that I strongly prefer bands that help prevent accidentally dropping the watch when they are unclasped, intentionally or otherwise.

I think it looks really nice, though. I'll be getting a link bracelet, but, if I decide to go with 38mm SS link, I'll consider getting the modern buckle in black for dressier occasions.

12. dannn macrumors regular

I would love the buy the link bracelet but I just can't justify spending that much money on it. It's literally more expensive than the watch itself :eek:. I would imagine that apple would make future apple watches compatible with the current straps, but I'm not willing to bank on it with that kinda money. I am not a fan of knockoffs, but I'm hoping I can find something that looks similar after a few months from launch

13. sterl320 macrumors 6502

I won't be, but only because of the terribly inflated prices. I think they look nice. I'm a guy btw.

14. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Value perception is a funny thing. I'm in love with Apple's design for the link bracelet. I just want it. Watches are largely a vanity item for me (though I do very much appreciate quick access to the time since I'm very time sensitive) so the value proposition is pretty arbitrary. I expect to get a lot of utility out of the functional features of the watch, but, the band choice, the case choice, that's entirely separate to me.

I'm just buying jewelry, a potentially very useful utility, and some design fetish swag all at once here.

15. Pinksteady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Leather loop, although I will also try on the classic buckle in-store just in case, but the pre-order will be the leather loop, which I love the look of.

16. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

I am 6'5" tall guy and I would love the modern buckle if it came in 42mm. It doesn't seem feminine at all to me.

17. Wallabe, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Originally I thought about just the aluminum, so only the sports bands. Now I want the SS with link band. But I prefer the more professional look and classy look of the 38mm. One of the band I'll be playing with is the modern buckle.

And yes, when people here say the modern buckle was feminine, I thought that was weird. Belt buckles have been around and they're very masculine. Maybe some people only have been exposed to only seeing it on female watches, purses, or belts. In any case, I prefer the modern buckle because I have enough watches with the traditional ones, and the leather get all bent (at the buckle) from normal wearing. I like the cleaner look of the modern buckle, the leather curves around the wrist without straining at the buckle.

I'm a guy.

18. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying a guy can't pull it off but I find it more on the feminine side personally.

I think there is a reason they offered it exclusively to the 38mm and included a pink band. But like I said, I think a guy could get away with it too, esp in black