How many has Apple sold?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by firewood, Oct 23, 2008.

1. firewood macrumors 604

Has anyone seen any estimates on how many iPod Touch devices Apple has sold to date?

Does anyone think it's a lot larger or smaller than the number of iPhones sold this year (10M)?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apple does not report sales of individual iPod models. They simply report aggregate iPod sales.

3. firewood thread starter macrumors 604

Analysts make lots of estimates of stuff that companies haven't reported yet (or will never report). Sometimes decent estimates (e.g. occasionally within a few percent of actual revenue, etc.)

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I follow AAPL very closely and analysts only estimate total iPod sales.

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

As do I, and he is correct. It is a sad fact that they don't release itemized sales figures, but it is the way it has been now for almost a decade.

[​IMG]

6. firewood thread starter macrumors 604

I wonder if there is any other way to make an estimate? The ratio of Mobile Safari user agent strings seen on the web compared to the iPhone? Carrying case or other accessory sales ratios? Or some such?

7. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Breaking down numbers to the model level would help the competitors, of course.

A basic information you can get (i.e. calculate) is the average iPod price. Here are the numbers for the last eight quarters:

163 160 160 159 181 171 152 150

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes it would. If competitors know which model sold best, they could focus on only one product instead of having to worry about all of them.

Apple also does the same thing in computer sales- breaking them down only in desktop and laptop sales.