How many have actually had problems with the Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cricketman, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Cricketman macrumors regular

I am ordering my iPhones tomorrow. I am in love with the plus - I saw my friend's the day it came out and instantly was attracted to the large screen, beautiful display, and form factor. I told myself if it fit in my pocket, I would order it, no questions asked.

Well, a week or so has passed and "bendgate" is in full swing. and I am quite nervous about this whole thing! Can anyone give me the confidence to buy a 6+, or does anyone have any horror experiences so far that would convince me to just go with the 6?

2. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Get the phone you want. Lots of drama over something that likely will never happen to a normal user. I'm loving the 6+.

3. 17MBPC2D macrumors regular

Only experienced OTA update issues with iOS 8.0.2 otherwise, the unit itself is perfect from day 1

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I am getting my phone replaced for an unrelated defect, and I tried bending it like in the video. I didn't go full out like they did, but I applied more force than the phone would EVER be subjected to in normal use (and I am not talking babying the phone).

The phone is SOLID. It does NOT bend easily. Either those people in the videos got defective phones, they faked it, or I didn't go hard enough. I am a big athletic guy, so strength isn't a problem.

I was actually pretty surprised by how strong the phone is. I expected at least some bending before deformation, but there was nothing at all. It's a very solid device, and you can tell as soon as you hold it in your hand.

But there is no way the phone crumbles like an aluminum can like in some videos.

I do believe the phone will bend under extreme force and pressure, but I think any phone will. I'm pretty sure the screen will pop out before the phone bends to any significant degree. Watch the consumerreports test and the better objective tests (that use precise machinery) to test the phones.

5. BigMar89, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

BigMar89 macrumors 6502

Some GPU issues (download Zen Garden and you'll notice it) and a sudden drop in battery drain (same usage and set up since I first got it) is what I have encountered so far. Although I might have a faulty unit.

6. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

Are you talking a pant back pocket and how heavy are you?

:D

I've had mine for a couple days and while I have gripes, none are related to the hardware (although, not loving the design, which is too Android for me).

The camera is awesome.

7. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

the only issue I have had is the one my company ordered for me still hasn't arrived.

8. BigMar89 macrumors 6502

Why are you getting it replaced if you don't mind me asking?

9. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular

NEVER in the back pocket lol!! and i weigh about 135 (5'10) so i hope that shouldn't be an issue haha

10. wxman2003 Suspended

Slap a thin hard case on it, and no need to worry anymore.

11. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

12. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Don't believe the negative hype. Most of that nonsense is from those who werent up early enough to preorder it/couldn't find one on launch day.

My 6 Plus has been amazing thus far and I expect it to keep it up. Screen, battery life, camera and its features sealed the deal forme. Never looking back to downsize.

13. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Bending is way overblown. You will feel how sturdy it is when you get it. Just get it, and enjoy it. Great phone!!

14. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

Have it used it constantly since the morning they came out. Zero issue. Love it.

15. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

My 6+ is by far my favorite phone I have ever owned.

My last 5 phones were:
    iPhone 5s
    HTC One M8
    Galaxy S4
    Nexus 5
    Galaxy S3

16. dumaz macrumors newbie

6+ is awesome. Don't knock it till you try it. I've been through so many phones (android too). 6+ is a bad mofo.

17. fmcarv macrumors 6502

The only person with a problem with the iPhone 6 Plus is the guy from Unboxing Therapy....but he's being paid to have a problem!

18. illutionz macrumors 65816

Zero problem. Been using it for 2 full days now (Thursday and Friday). Put screen protector and Apple Leather case on Day 1.

Then again I baby my gadget and take unlike some people who're apparently willing to actively destroy their gadgets

19. Mr.Gene macrumors member

I think that most of those who didn't experience any problems with 6 or the plus are happily using their new iPhones. Just like I am.

20. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

I love mine, only thing I'm disappointed in is the still image quality. It's not as good as reviewers have led us to believe. Pics are a bit fuzzy for a 2014 phone camera. Rest is awesome though.

Took me about 30 secs to get used to having the bigger phone. TBH, if it was 5.7inch I'd still be happy with it. No way could I go back to having a smaller phone now. I've been waiting ages for an iOS phablet.

21. nanotoj macrumors regular

nanotoj

Coming from a 5S, I walked out of Verizon on launch day with a 64gb space gray 6 plus. It took a few hours to get used to the size and I wanted a gold instead of space gray...those were my only issues until I made the mistake of upgrading to iOS 8.0.1. This upgrade did away with my Touch ID and Verizon service and was a big headache until fixed that night but turned out to have an upside as Verizon has agreed to give me a gold 64gb replacement after the 14 day return date.

No actual problems other than that although I will mention battery life. It was not what I expected until all my apps were in place and it had several complete charges. I use it a lot throughout the day, not heavy use, but constant use throughout the day and evening and the lowest the battery has been at the end of the day on a full charge is at 63%. I have gone two full days with no charge and it was still down to only 25% before plugging it in.

I love the 6 Plus.

22. GrimmsGirl, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

I have a genius bar appt. this afternoon. I got my 6 plus on Thursday evening, and last night and this morning I've been noticing small issues. It seems like the glass is not fully seated with the aluminum case, and when I put a straight edge on the back, I can see 1/16" of light at one end of the phone which indicates the the chassis is slightly bent. For me, these things aren't really bothersome for daily usage. That said, if this isn't the way the phone is supposed to be, for the amount of money it costs I want it to be as perfect as Apple intended for it to be.

I carry my phone in my purse, and I've actually only been out of the house once since I bought the phone so I'm fairly sure the phone came out of the box this way. It's in a case, and when carried in my purse, in a wallet.

Does anyone happen to have any idea what the tolerance on a device is like this? Should the phone be 100% straight on the back, or is that 1/16" "curve" within acceptable tolerance? I know my gut is telling me it should be more straight than it is, but I am a perfectionist when it comes to my electronics. I guess I'll see what the geniuses say.

Other than that, I think the phone is awesome. The 6+ is a little heavy for me, but the size doesn't bother me at all. I'll carry it for a year, and reevaluate next year if I want to change.

23. Rafterman macrumors 68000

No bending, no scratches, no screen white splotches, no hot or dead pixels and no light leakage. And I suspect that's true for most people.