How many here have an unlocked iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aerospace, Sep 16, 2007.

?

Is your Iphone unlocked?

1. I have an Iphone locked to AT&T

45 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. I unlocked my At&T Iphone just cause I felt like it

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. I have an unlocked Iphone

26 vote(s)
    25.7%
  4. I plan on purchasing an Iphone only now that it can be unlocked

23 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. aerospace macrumors 6502a

To help sort out some controversy as to how many Iphones are really unlocked, lets see the percentage here as a sample.

My best guesses:

5-10k worldwide based on people not knowing the phone can be unlocked, being in a contract already and can't get out, not knowing how or where to get unlock software, etc.

2. Goldenbear macrumors regular

You left out the biggest reason the vast majority of people don't have unlocked iPhones: THEY DON'T CARE! :)

Also, I doubt any poll on this (or any other) site will accurately reflect the "Real World". This site (and others) tend to attract a larger percentage of people who are most likely to hack their toys (the geeks, if you will).

3. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

that is the point

...if only 5% of people here have an unlocked phone for example then in the world of all iphone owners the percentage is probably less than 1 :p

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I hardly think the five or six votes you have so far is a very good sample. Maybe if you sold your poll to Gallup, you'd be on to something;) Though, your poll should ask non iPhone owners if unlocking makes a difference to them. That would give you a better picture of what you seek.

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

The percentage of people who have an unlocked iphone is going to be considerably higher here than in the general population. How high I have no idea, but it's a very skewed poll based on the population you are asking.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well, according to the poll results thus far, 65% of the people who voted don't have an unlocked phone. But otherwise, I agree that this population is skewed, and that the poll won't be terribly reliable or accurate.

7. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

But it's just so much fun! I'm curious myself to know how many MR folk have unlocked theirs.

8. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

That's actually not true at all, and a classic problem with how people interpret polls.

I'm sure it will be very accurate and revealing ... about the users of this site.

It's when people extrapolate data that you can get into trouble.

If you're interested in this forum's tendencies with their iPhones, it should be perfectly accurate and appropriate for the task.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:eek: I didn't pay attention to the fact that he wrote, "people here.":eek: Ok, never mind:eek:

10. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

well from the way the OP worded his post along with the poll, it looks like an effort to extrapolate from this population.

One certainly can do that if one wishes, but it's sort of asking for a result that doesn't accurately reflect the population at large.

Polls are generally very good at telling you exactly what you ask -- nothing less and nothing more.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes, I know the potential of polls quite well; I'm a poli sci major:p I thought this poll was titled, "is your iPhone unlocked or locked?" That's why I thought the OP wasn't going to get good results. However, since the title clearly singles out the people of this forum, I can see how it can still work (assuming that's what the OP wanted).

Edit: The thread and poll do ask, "is your iPhone unlocked?" Those titles don't mention anything about "here" that's only in the OP's post. I knew I wasn't reading it ALL incorrectly :p

12. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

It helps to read the post entirely :p

anyone its just for fun, i'm not creating a report for the CEO of Tmobile or mailing my findings to the IRS....

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I know. It's actually a good poll for MR; I just got thrown by the title and the actual content of your post.

14. ZaniCWB macrumors member

ZaniCWB

Check the poll options, because there's no such thing as an AT&T iPhone... there's only Apple iPhone (and the CISCO one, but it doesn't matter for this poll) and if you want real statistic, at least for MacRumors population, ask the moderators to put a poll in the main page (I know, probably they will refuse to do it, but asking doesn't hurt).

AT&T is only the service provider, it doesn't own the thing. Also, I can go to an AT&T store and buy one without having to sign a contract or activating it. BTW, the poll is biased in my opinion.

15. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea that'll happen :cool:

if you want use it you have to activate or hack it yes, which is what unlocking basically is. 6 of one, half a dozen of another

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Only one option is written as "ATT iPhone" and it is that way because I think the OP wanted to specify that the phone was still using an ATT contract, but that the voter had chosen to unlock it for the fun of it. It could have been better worded, but I think that was the intent of calling it "ATT iPhone."

This is correct, but like I wrote above, I think the reasoning was based on the unique nature of that option.

How is the poll biased? Please explain:)

PS: OP, the poll displays "Iphone" instead of "iPhone." Did you type it this way, or is it an error?

17. alljunks macrumors regular

I have ATT, but I will unlock it just because I can...

18. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

so how many people are not going to buy an iphone now that steve claims the will be trying to break it? :eek:

not sure why but i'm even more excited to get one. guess its the rebellious part of me... if i'm not allowed its so much sweeter! :cool:

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Personally, it does kind of bother me that Jobs would say that he's going to make it tougher for the consumer to unlock it, but I can understand it from his point of view. ATT and 02 wouldn't be too happy if a million iPhones are sold, but no one activates it. They're giving up a lot to partner wiith Apple, and they expect something in return. In a way, Jobs is simply protecting his business interests.

However, if you buy an iPhone, it is your property, and you can do whatever you want with it. If you want to unlock it, then you should be able to unlock it without having to go through a bunch of hoops. In this case, my sentiments lie with the people who have other carriers. Phones are the property of the person who bought it, not the company that made it.