How many here use a light meter?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by trjwv, Jun 21, 2011.

1. trjwv macrumors regular

How many here actually use a light meter or do you just wing it, and if so, which light meter?

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I usually rely on the built in meter in my XSi, but I have an old Bower meter from my film days. I have been trying it with my digital, but the readings are quite different from the camera. It's considered a "collectable" now.

This was metered with it. The sky was rendered much better than the camera, but I needed a lot of post to bring out the shadows.

[​IMG]

Dale

3. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I use a flash meter when necessary, but don't find a light meter all that compelling with digital, as I expose to the right most of the time and worry about the final look in development since I know I've captured the most dynamic range possible.

Paul

4. Randy McKown macrumors member

I just look around .. make my settings .. double check and fine tune with a PhotoVision Digital Calibration Target. In the studio I basically have all my lighting setups memorized from over the years. When I want to try something new I always do it on my own time without a client so I can perfect it beforehand. I might buy another one someday if I run out of other things to buy. LOL