How many hours a day do you use your iphone as an ipod?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vanzeclipse, Sep 15, 2010.

1. vanzeclipse macrumors newbie

Is it okay to use my iphone 4 as an ipod substitute for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week?

I listen to it constantly at work and wonder if it will have a negative effect on the battery in the future.

I still have my ipod touch, but I hate lugging 2 devices around....reason I got the iphone.

Anyone else do this?

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Hmm, between the gym and work around 4hrs of iPod useage a day! On my iP4 that uses about zero battery too, so thats a huge plus!

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I use the iPod a lot during the day, it barely uses any of the battery.

5. vanzeclipse thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you guys sure it doesn't use up much battery?

I'm at 82%
    usage: 6 hours, 46 mins
    standby: 15 hours, 39 mins

All the usage hours are ipod hours...except for a 5 min call.

Is that acceptable?

6. ItouchMe macrumors regular

ItouchMe

I use my iPod maybe 45 minutes on average for a normal day. Obviously there are some days where I dont use it at all and then some days where I use it a whole lot

7. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

just curios did you turn on wifi/push/notification/location?
    If yes then those are what is draining your phone battery but if not then you definitely have to book an appointment with the genius.

As for me I usually use it around 2 to 4 hrs a day for commuting and gym.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Is it bad to use your iPod like this? Probably the same for the phone.

9. vanzeclipse thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm...I got locations on, notifications for textfree, facebook, my wireless on. But I haven't received any notifications at all today. I'm not sure where you can check push for all the apps. Email is set to no push...just manual updating. Wifi is off since I don't have any at work.

I'll try tomorrow just on airplane mode during work and see what kind of battery life I get.

I'm a very light user....just heavy on ipod usage.

10. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

That's pretty much what you should expect. With what you posted, you're getting around 37.5 hours of audio playback. And Apple's iPhone 4 Tech specs state the audio playback to be "Up to 40 hours".

Though you also have a standby of almost 16 hours, so it's performing how it should be.

11. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I have 15GB of Videos on my 32GB i4 and I try not to use it as an iPod. This is why I have my 32GB Wi-Fi iPad & 4G touch but I have days when I don't feel like bring them with me.

The most I would use it is about an hour for Music & Podcast.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

What pray tell do you expect?

close to 7 hrs of usage and over 15 hrs standby and not even 20% battery usage sounds pretty dang good to me

13. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

One of my iPhone's principle uses is playing music.

I use it in my car, at the gym, walking the dog, and sometimes sitting at my desk at work.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

14. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

IPod at least 8 hours a day here - no problem at all through 4 iPhones now.

15. vanzeclipse thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome thanks! I wasn't aware of of playback tech spec. Good to know I'm within spec.

I assumed from the posts above that music usage barely affects battery life...I guess my definition of barely is different. And yes, 7 hours of usage and 15 hours of standby at 80% is very sweet!

16. vanzeclipse thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, 2 hours of playback and the meter is still at 100%. This is with airplane mode on. awesome battery life :D

17. SL4VE macrumors 6502

with everything on i have got 2.5 days use with light/normal use... anything more than a day with heavy use is acceptable imo for a smartphone

regarding the topic i hardly use my iPod at the moment as ive got a 32GB iPod in the car and too lazy for the gym.. but im sure i will restart again and than a minimum of 1 hours use daily. The thing about the iPhone i love is its inviting and effortless to use,... i had a HTC desire and it had all the functions of the iPhone but it felt a chore using it

18. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

-18% after 6 hours of ipod usage? That's not bad at all.

Edit: not bad by my standards...I usually leave my phone with 3g on and have about 6 e-mail accounts fetching every 15 minutes and 1 exchange calendar on push....

19. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

Are you serious? You listened to music for almost 7 hours and you only dropped 18% battery. What do you think?!