Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I would like to know how many hours of usage you guys are actually getting on the Late 2013, 15" rMBP.

We mainly surf the internet, watch Youtube, and do some work in MS Office, and would like to know what kind of battery life we can reasonably expect.

Thank you.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I would like to know how many hours of usage you guys are actually getting on the Late 2013, 15" rMBP.

We mainly surf the internet, watch Youtube, and do some work in MS Office, and would like to know what kind of battery life we can reasonably expect.

Thank you.

With YouTube, it drains the battery like hell because of Flash.

On my 15" late-2013 rMBP (2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD and GT750M), it lasts for about 8-9 hours with the GPU forced to integrated-only, and using the HTML5 player for Flash, along with Word, Spotify, Preview, Safari and Messages running at the same time.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
I would definitely alter your settings to use html5 instead of flash. That will make a big difference on power consumption.

Barney

Crugga

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
I read that bit of advice about choosing html5 the other day and not only has it improved power issues it has made a huge difference to stability. I had noticed a lot of youtube videos on my last machine and on this new one crashing, since changing the setting its not crashing and you can scan through videos in almost realtime. Was the same on my stopgap Windows machine.
To think there was uproar when Apple announced they would not be suporting Flash on tablets and phones, judging by how poorly it seems to run on all pcs it makes perfect sense.

Back to OP, its down to brightness settings, browser, what you are doing etc.
Earlier I was getting 61% battery remaining 5hours 40, that was just using Safari to upload stock to discogs(music site) with brightness half way so I guess that works out at 10% per hour which is very decent. Ive now got the brightness up and have Firefox open also which is always more hungry and im getting an hour remaining with 29% battery left.

slo-climber

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2013
How do I know if I use html5 or flash when watching something on Youtube? Or where can I change these settings?

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I got iTunes open (was listening to a song), working on a pretty big spreadsheet (using Numbers instead of Microsoft Excel) and I'm playing a movie on youtube. I get 12:24 with keyboard lights off. (I always turn off keyboard lights when I'm on battery :p ) But not sure how accurate the meter is though :)

15" rMBP 16 gb RAM, 512 GB SSD, 750m.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.