How many hours per day are you on the computer?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, May 2, 2008.

?

How many hours of your own free time do you spend on the computer?

1. 0-2

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. 2-4

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. 4-6

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. 6-8

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. 8+

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I am talking about your free time. This does not count time on a computer at work. I know it varies ... but if you had to estimate an average, what would it be?

2. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

2 hours when not at work

3. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

more than i should. however it is the only media source in my apt...no tv no game system etc.

but now that its nice out, will definitly decline by alot

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

8+ :eek:

I have horrible balance, so I avoid the outdoors at all costs, T.V is too repetitive, and I've read all the good books I could find.

6. mikeypizano macrumors member

7. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

I dunno. Computers and the little iPods and whatnot are always on or just dozing, so when I walk by one I might spend a few minutes of free time or an hour or 8 hours, it depends on how I've planned to spend my free time any given day. I mean if I decide to move a machine to the next OS, that's going to be an entertainment lasting at least a few hours.

Personally I strive to make one day a week pretty tech-free. Not the same day each week, but I consciously scan ahead each week for a day where it seems like an option and more or less book it onto the calendar.

Sometimes I don't quite hit the mark, or I could make a day tech-free but I rented a movie that's burning a hole in my willingness to wait, or I feel like rearranging some stuff in an iTunes library or getting some more lyrics or artwork stashed so my iPhone can shine when it's being an iPod...

I do think it's really important to step back from the glitter and noise of technology-supported entertainment and spend some time each week in simpler pursuits. I was not born looking at a screen. I hope I don't die while looking at one either! I like to write but sometimes I will deliberately use a pen and paper instead of a text processor, just for the difference in mental process that springs from the different physical one.

Cyberspace is cool but it's not real and does not fully engage our human senses. Some day next week I mean to repot all my houseplants, which have managed to get through another winter of being simultaneously not warm enough and too dry. So that can be my tech-free day if I remember to skip the video podcasts from the previous night while I'm making breakfast!

8. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

It really depends on what i've done during the day... I'm usually never on the computer until 5-6 when I get off work. When i'm not at work, I'll be on the computer on and off during the day. If I get bored with the internet I'll go wash my car or call a friend up or something. I usually never stay on my computer for more than 2 hours at one time, i take breaks.