How many Install Disc are there?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nehmia, Apr 29, 2007.

1. nehmia macrumors newbie

I know this is a simple and silly question, but I am wanting to erase and install OS X on my MBP CD. I went to pull out my disc and in the dual sleeve paper case there was only one install disc. It says 'Disc 1" on it, and in the .txt file on it it says after the first disc your mac "MAY" ask for the second. I have a feeling there is no (vital for the os x install) disc 2. I have looked around on ebay and google for pics of orginal packaging including the disc but I cannot find anything. I dont wanna start the process and then be stuck half way looking for the other disc!

Thanks

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i have two that came with my MacBook Pro. i don't know what's on each, though.

3. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

disk 2 has iLife on it.
    everything you need
    for your osx is on disk 1

4. jng macrumors 65816

jng

but when you install make sure you do a custom install not to install iLife, iWork, iWeb etc. Otherwise it'll ask for disk 2

5. nehmia thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is I'm looking to do an Erase and Install. I do not know how I lost disc 2, I keep everything fairly organized. Any ideas on what i can do?

6. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

you can erase and install from disk 1. you just won't have iLife. (garage band, etc.)

do you now have garage band and iLife? if so, make a backup of your hdd and then add the apps from it after you do the install.

7. ericsthename macrumors regular

Download it from a torrent site and burn it to dvd.

8. nehmia thread starter macrumors newbie

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is against the rules of this forum to discuss pirated software.

10. nehmia thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I just found out my girlfriend currently has possesion of my Disc 2 in the states. I am deployed overseas and wont be able ot recieve mail for about a month. So because I own a legal copy, I am entitled to download a rip of the DVD (if I can even find one).

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

do this. it's much easier than downloading everything and there's no questions about its legality.

12. nehmia thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i go about doing that. i tried making a disk image in disk utility from the restore disc (1) but it said the "file was too large". i was saving it to an external that had 200+ free gigs. is there a way i can save iphoto, imovie, idvd...etc.. apps onto my external? do i simply drag and drop the apps onto the external or do i need to root around for other folders and files?

thanks again

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He owns the software though, I don't think it would be consider illegal piracy.

14. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

drag and drop should work. although, there are other files you might need to be conscious of - like iMovie themes, which are stored in HD > Library > Application Support > iMovie > Themes. i'm not sure if these get copied over with the app. perhaps someone else could suggest a way to make sure everything is included when you copy.