Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SickMouthy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
A simple question, but I can't find an answer. I know the family pack gives you 6 installs, but does the standard edition only give you one? My girlfriend and I have just got a new iMac core duo each and I don't want to buy a family pack if we could both install the standard version for half the money (at education rates).

Thanks.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
1 license, 1 key, but there's no physical limit to installs. It's sketchy territory, even with 1 desktop and 1 laptop being used by the same person, let alone 2 computers being used by 2 people. But the only thing stopping you is going to be your ethics.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
SickMouthy said:
I'll have to convince the g/f that she doens't want it then...

Just install the damned thing on 2 computers.

However, seeing as how this restriction is so artificial, and seeing as how they'd be selling you the same software whether it was a family pack or individual pack, I'd just install it on her computer. I never understood why I couldn't install my software on my parents computer and my own, or on two of MY computers, even if both computers are on at the same time, or both computers are running that software simultaneously.

I'm pretty much completely against bootlegging software and getting it off of friends. Its not for all your friends to share, and yes, sharing that software amongst 10-100 of your close and not-so-close friends is illegal.

And the thing about this "family pack" is that your gf wouldn't be covered under the family pack since she's not a part of your family.

Just install it on her computer.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
solvs said:
1 license, 1 key, but there's no physical limit to installs. It's sketchy territory, even with 1 desktop and 1 laptop being used by the same person, let alone 2 computers being used by 2 people. But the only thing stopping you is going to be your ethics.

There are no keys (at least in my retail copy). When you install it doesn't ask you for a product key/license key to activate. There is nothing stopping you installing this on multiple Macs. It's really just up to you. The Family Pack is only £14 more in the UK (£69 vs £55)

SickMouthy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
robbieduncan said:
There are no keys (at least in my retail copy). When you install it doesn't ask you for a product key/license key to activate. There is nothing stopping you installing this on multiple Macs. It's really just up to you. The Family Pack is only £14 more in the UK (£69 vs £55)

I'd get it at education rate as I work at a university (and my girlfriend is a student) so it's actually half the price that way.

If it's just ethics stopping me, well... I did moral philosophy for a year at undergrad. I've done MUCH worse things in my life...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
SickMouthy said:
I'd get it at education rate as I work at a university (and my girlfriend is a student) so it's actually half the price that way.

If it's just ethics stopping me, well... I did moral philosophy for a year at undergrad. I've done MUCH worse things in my life...

I don't think there's an education family pack. So you'd have to buy two separate versions, to be completely ethical, anyway. But if you're just worried about ethics, how hard would it be to convince yourself that two copies are fine, as long as you're not both using it at the same time?

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Forget what I said. I thought he was talking about iLife '06. No idea what license comes with iWork '06.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
dr_lha said:
My version of iLife '06 never asked for any serial numbers. Are you sure you're not gettig mixed up with the "register this software" thing that comes up? You don't need to register the software for it to work, I never bothering registering any of my Apple software, because I'm lazy.

You just made the same mistake that I have just realised I made. The poster is asking about iWork not iLife. iLife does not ask for a serial number, iWork does.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
robbieduncan said:
You just made the same mistake that I have just realised I made. The poster is asking about iWork not iLife. iLife does not ask for a serial number, iWork does.
D'oh! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.