How Many Instruments Come in GarageBand?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Resist, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

I can only find the keyboard/piano. Are there supposed to be more instruments with GarageBand? Yes I am new to using it.

2. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

While I never knew the exact number, I looked it up and it seems that there are over 100 synthesized instruments that can be used either with the onscreen keyboard or by hooking up an external USB or MIDI keyboard.

GarageBand Instruments

Hope that helps!

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Well when I try to play the Guitar, only a Guitar amp shows up and it doesn't play via my keyboard. What am I doing wrong?

4. Elbert C macrumors 6502

GarageBand Window menu > Musical Typing or Keyboard.
    Try reading the GarageBand Getting Started.pdf that's in GBs Help menu.
    There's also a link to video tutorials that you can look at.

5. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I tried using keyboard for Guitar, but it was gray lit and didn't do anything when I used my computer's keyboard.

Yes I can read the help menu and watch the tutorials, but I was hoping someone here could give me a faster answer. I just want to play the Guitar with my computer's keyboard.

6. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Go to Track>New Track and select 'Software Instrument'. Should be a green track.

You can select your instrument from the lists to the right.

To get the keyboard up go to Window>Keyboard

You'll see two tabs, one a set of piano keys, one a keyboard button. Click the keyboard button and it should show which keys on your mac are what, and should play now.

7. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Forcefieldkid, that worked thanks! I did have to download the instrument pack though, no wonder it never worked before.