How many iPads collecting dust?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Krazy Bill, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yeah, probably a loaded thread but 6 months ago my wife insisted on getting one. She's a heavy MS Office user on her MacBook and I basically told her the iPad doesn't do anything compared to her Mac and is severely limited especially in a work environment. So now it sits, unused except for the occasional game on a plane. :(

Go back to January. I notice my work colleagues begin showing up for Staff meetings gleefully pecking away at new, shiny iPads.

They say to me, "You need one of these things Krazy Bill!"

I reply over the top of my MBP13, "Why? It doesn't do anything."

Suffice it to say, by May... *all* 10 of these people had abandoned their iPads and were split between using various laptops and good old pencil/paper. I asked them "where their iPads were" and got a flurry of answers... none too specific.

From a general business perspective, the iPad needs 3 things:

1.) a semi-real Keyboard
    2.) MS-Office
    3.) The muscle to handle #2.

The keyboard is available and iPads are getting more powerful with each release. The problem I see is getting MS-Office for iOS. Honestly, with Microsoft about to release their very own tablet, it would be stupid for them to make one of their flagship products for the iPad. (And no. Numbers/Pages aren't the same as Word/Excel in a professional work environment. I didn't make that rule... it's just the way it is.)

So... after the luster has worn off, anyone else relegate their iPads to the dust bin?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Use my iPad (3) all of the time with a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard/case
    I love it and the ease of use

Sure, I would love to have Office, but I don't (yet)
    But there are plenty of other things I can do with my iPad that make me productive

In fact, I doubt I would use Office on my iPad much
    I would prefer using my MBA for that
    If I need it, I can use Team Viewer and access my Mac or PC and run Office

The iPad isn't for everyone
    But I love having the portability and ease of use, esp on an airplane (I travel a lot)
    Using iMessage, Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Evernote, DropBox and more, I can get most things done I need to do on the go
    Plus, it always connected with my unlimited data plan, no need to tether my Air or use a hotspot
    And if I am not on the go, I use my MBA

For me, it doesn't have to be either or, it is both
    And my iPhone as well

3. R1PPER macrumors 6502

The ipad is for consuming media, surfing the web, checking on trip advisor. Its not ment to do "proper" work on. If you need to do MS office, retouch some photos or write a book you would definitely be better of with a desktop or laptop...for everything else an ipad cant be beat.

4. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Nope! Not in the slightest. Unless you stop exploring new Appls and stop consuming Media, I can not fathom how anyone can say they have more use for the iPad as an expensive paper weight. Buy some Apps man. And cheer up. If that doesn't work, sell it because you'll probably get most of your money back!

5. trip1ex macrumors 68000

If you bought the wrong tool for the job then yes it will be gathering dust.

6. scupking macrumors 6502a

7. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

If you have it set up to use as is it will be difficult to type on etc. There are tons of cases that have keyboards built in. In my office, we have iPad's.....everyone has remote desktop app and can access everything on our computer when we are outta the office or at a meeting. yeah office would be nice to be right on the iPad, but for viewing files it works perfect. If we need to create something, open up your remote desktop app and access everything that way. It's a lot easier to carry around then lugging a laptop in a laptop bag.

8. wharzhee macrumors 6502

i've got 2 collecting dust... my ipad1 and ipad2.
    oh wait sorry, i forget.

my mum n grandmother found use for them.

9. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

my 17" MBP has been collecting dust ever since i bought the iPad 3.

10. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

None at my house using them daily! On the other hand my macs are getting dusty! :( last time I turned my mac mini on was just for syncing my musics to the nano.

11. Tomacorno macrumors regular

I use mine every day. I use it for basic note taking and scheduling at work - replaced my Franklin Planner. I bought Pages and Numbers. I do edits on documents that I do the bulk of the work on on Pages on my mac at home. I use Numbers to keep track of the budget for a club for which I am treasurer. I am also using iTunes U to take an online course with Stanford. eBook reader. Some games. Basic surfing and media consumption. And way too much time in the evening on Reddit.

As I write this I realize I use it more than I realized.

Check the weather. Show photos. Basic editing of photos. Handing to the kids to play with music apps.

All of this stuff could be done on a more powerful computer. However, carrying the iPad around and having the instant on when I open the cover combined with the longer battery life feels way more convenient.

Overall, I am pretty pleased with this thing. :cool:

Now, if you have access to a bunch of iPads that are gathering dust I will give you bottom dollar for them and distribute the iPad 2s to friends and family and donate the iPad 1s to the Orangutan Outreach Project http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/09/06/apple-and-orangutans-apes-found-to-be-enamored-with-ipads/
    Because I think that is awesome.

12. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Neither of the 2 in our house are collecting dust, both get used every day. I use mine at work for taking notes in meetings and for a few other tasks as well. We have a Bluetooth keyboard and occasionally the hubby uses it, but I've gotten used to the onscreen keyboard and use it most of the time.

13. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Use it all day every day. I also do my work email on it when I am playing World of Warcraft on my Macbook Pro. :)

14. appswipe macrumors 6502

I use my iPad all the time and its my Macbook that seems to be collecting dust more. But I know what you mean. I bought both my parents iPads but 6mo and $1400 later then they never use it. (same goes for several friends that were carrying them everywhere but now are back to carrying laptops or relying on their smartphone)

Personally, I feel the iPad Mini will increase iPad usage because it offers more portability and doesnt require a handbag to lug around.

15. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

we use our 1G everyday. so much so that i actually picked up another one, but donated it to my mother in law soon thereafter. it's great for surfing and general purpose.

16. Krazy Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I think you're right. The mini can't pretend to be "all things to all people". Just its size alone puts it in an obvious category with no false expectations.

The mini fills a "niche" I can understand. :) Right now, I use my iPhone to read books but it sucks for casual web browsing and video. (And an extra 1/2 inch won't make it any better).

The mini seems to be a good compromise for people like me.

17. appswipe macrumors 6502

I think thats a good point. Many people bought into the iPad not really knowing what to expect, and therefore not knowing how to fit it into their lives (thus some understandable complaints). But the iPad Mini will primarily be purchased
    by people who know exactly what they'll be using it for.

For me, I got rid of my iPad in favor of the Mini because my main uses are reading iBooks and carrying it around without a bag. So its perfect for me (pending its real of course).

18. sers macrumors regular

Use mine everyday, even for work. Couldn't live without it. The desktop is collecting dust now.

19. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

4.) Hierarchical document folder storage, that easily syncs through iCloud.

20. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I wasn't going to get an iPad until I got a great deal on a NIB iPad1 after the iPad2's had been out for about 4 months and the local store was clearing out old stock...I enjoyed using the iPad so much and I had the two laptops in my signature (both have SSD's in them) that I ended up gifting the 1 and buying an iPad3 = I still use all my laptops and iPads as I like being connected while out and about :D

21. darngooddesign, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

darngooddesign macrumors G3

I still use my launch-day iPad 2 as much as, if not more than, I did a year and a half ago.

I think your entire argument is based around the idea that iPads are only used for business.

22. shoewee macrumors newbie

LAWL! I use my iPad everyday and not just for consumption either. I've never once needed a keyboard and I type just as fast on my iPad as I do on my MacBook Pro. With Mountain Lion life is so much better especially because Pages and Notes sync. Why do you need Office when you have Pages, Numbers, and Keynote? Keynote is far superior to Power Point in every way. Page is just as good as well.

Here's my challenge to you. If it really is just gathering dust, consider donating it to your local school. Teachers are dying just to have 1 in their classroom to use. You use it as a tax write-off and a teacher gets to integrate more technology into their classroom. Both are win win. We have almost 7,000 iPads in our district, and I know others that have way more than that. Your local public school would love it!!

23. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

iMac - power use, word processing, syncing apps.

iPhone - out and about, on the go.

iPad - lying back on the sofa after a hard day at work, plug in some headphones, watch a movie, catch up on some missed TV, play a game, surf the web, Tweet, check Facebook.

The perfect set up. :cool:

24. ATaleOfFiction macrumors member

Unfortunately, mine is just lying underneath my car seat, awaiting my next flight. THat's the normal role for my iPad these days, between my iphone and my MBP.

25. Kate. macrumors regular

Nope, I write a few thousand words per day on my iPad sans external keyboard and without Office. Heavy lifting editing is done on my desktop but I don't buy the idea that the iPad is purely for media consumption and games. There are plenty of case studies out there of people, like me, who can get legitimate work done on the iPad often with just the on-screen keyboard. Not for everyone but it's certainly not impossible like some make it out to be. Honestly, I've yet to even watch a movie on it.

I wasn't sure if the iPad was for me or not but now I can't imagine being without the thing.