How many iPhone 4 users having the antenna/signal/call-drop issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adityashah1989, Jul 16, 2010.

1. adityashah1989 macrumors 6502

Be honest and please just iPhone 4 users reply. This can be a helpful thread for people thinkong of buying one, and while replying please mention which country you reside in.

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yup, Tampa, fl, USA
    Though my second iPhone has been much better than my first, only one dropped call so far.

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

San Diego, CA USA

Signal bars drop but never had a dropped call. All calls have been crystal clear.

4. igeoffi macrumors member

Haven't had an issue with the "death grip." I even tried in areas w/low signal strength.

However it does seem like I get lower bars in certain areas (with a bumper on) than when I had the 3G. My signal in these areas fluctuates wildly from 0 bars to 4 bars (with a bumper on). With 0 bars, data/calls still works fine. Weird.

Thinking about taking it in possibly.

5. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

The first day I had my phone I dropped a call to my wife because I had my hand on the "magic spot"on a naked iPhone. I usually always have a case on my phones and was waiting for one to show up.

The case did show up and put it on and have not had a problem ever since.

The only people that are going to have issues are ones that want a "naked" phone.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think I have it, but it's really hard to tell. When I'm at home in my bedroom and playing a game or whatever on it, I have seen it many times go from a bar or two to "Searching." On my 3GS, I was lucky to have two bars ever. So a lot of it may have been the fuzzy math on the bars that put more there to begin with.

I just did a speed test to try this. I put my hand over the famous bottom left corner. The first test timed out because latency couldn't be determined. I next did a test holding the phone in my hand without touching that corner. The usual 1.5Mbps download, maybe 256k upload. I then tried a third test with it covered. It did almost 1.5Mbps download, then got stuck in the upload test. I uncovered it during that part and within 2 seconds it started jumping toward the finish.

If it is just half a percent of owners, I may be one of them. I have had more calls drop with this phone than the 3GS, so it could be just my luck.

7. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

my iphone 3g would lower signal, my iphone 4 doesn't

8. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Dayton, Ohio.

My iPhone 4 works great. Even if I hold the phone in the wrong way that causes others signal loss. If I hold thevspot with all the force in my hanf I can make it drop but that I never attenuate the signal holding the phone as usual. No case but want one anyways. Even before announced as free.

9. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

I can replicate the problem with the death grip but I barely ever hold my phone in a death grip. When I'm on a call I hold my phone with my fingertips. And when I'm browsing I hold it with my fingers too, not my palm.

10. Sinfire macrumors regular

11. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I never had an issue with dropped calls on my iPhone....but I mostly using a headset and had a case since day 1

Owings Mills, Maryland

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

13. Tucana macrumors newbie

As much as I hate to admit it, I drop several more calls with the iphone 4 as I did with the 3G. I'm running a naked phone until my grovemade case comes in. So that is the main problem. That and I noticed I talk with my right index finger on the rubber. Need to reposition fingers.

Nashville, TN

14. Aadhil macrumors regular

Did you update your iPhone software that was released yesterday?

15. Tucana macrumors newbie

Yep. Still have 5 bars. Deathgrip. Goes to 1. I'm not real worried about it. I'll probably opt for a free case till I get my custom one in. They said it would be around 3-4 weeks.

16. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

All iPhone 4's have this issue

Edit: Think this is more about the area people live in and if they see the issue due to signal strength. So yeah I see it around Ft. Bragg, NC

17. gil716 macrumors newbie

New York and Northern New Jersey

I use the phone in both areas. Just tested it right now in NJ with 1 bar (-113db), speakerphone turned on and my left palm bridging the majority of the left side of the phone. My call did not drop even after 5 minutes.

18. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Boondocks of Maryland.

Zip Code: 21015

No signal loss.

No dropped calls.

19. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

Shamong, NJ

Dropped Calls: 2-3
    Lossed Signal: Only in deathgrip

I think everyone is blowing it out of proportion. My calls only get dropped when holding it in my left hand via the deathgrip. Guess what? It's not that hard to move your hand 10 centimeters up...