How many iPod owners pay for their music?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by likemyorbs, Jul 2, 2010.

?

How many iPod owners pay for their music?

1. I own an iPod and purchase my music legally.

44 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. I own an iPod and obtain my music using free pirated methods.

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Hey everyone, I'm doing a school project on music piracy and I'm trying to get some rough estimates on the percentage of iPod owners who actually pay for music from iTunes or some other source, and percentage of people who get it by "other means". Please answer honestly!

2. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

haha, yeah im tracking everyone's IP, and i work for the record label.

4. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

How do I get to the poll? Is it still going on?

Personally, I always either buy the CD (if I know I'll like more than just one song), or download via iTunes (if it's just 1 song, or I'm not sure). 'Course, I'm an ancient windbag, too.

I like to support the artists so they can afford to make more music and not have to wait tables instead. Yeah, I know the evil record companies, yadda yadda, but if you pirate the music, how much are you really supporting the artists? Honestly I think most people just don't care despite what they say, they just don't want to part with a paltry buck or two, it's all just rationalization to justify their selfishness, or maybe envy because they haven't a creative bone in their bodies.

Oops, was that out loud?

5. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

6. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

7. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

My iPod is populated with various iTunes, CD, and ripped-from-vinyl songs that were purchased legally, some by my father as early as 1963.

8. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

99%'s legal I'd guess. I can't comment on the stuff I get off my brother's library; I don't think he's so scrupulous about it. I know better than to use iTunes though, most expensive place to get downloads.

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

10. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I've gone the buy used cds from amazon route. You can get a cd (one you really want) for a fraction of what it cost new. I rip it lossless to iTunes, throw the case away and put the cd in one of those cases that hold over a hundred cds. You might think I'm crazy but I put lossless out on my iPod Touch which holds 32 GB. Lower rip rates are good for one folk singer with his guitar but for busy music I can hear the difference between apple lossless and 320 kbps. I don't buy from the iTunes Music store because the music is only 256 kbps. Someday those who bought at that bit rate will wish it was lossless.

11. devils punchbow macrumors member

I did not vote based on the options to choose from.

I don't have much of an interest in putting music on a hard drive, or even owning music physically or not. I prefer to stream music. So I play for premium accounts with sites like Slacker, or Pandora. Slacker I can cache the stations on my touch so I don't always have to have a internet connection to listen. So money that goes out of pocket goes to this type of service. I do some downloading for free of legal sites of bands that allow concerts to be recorded. That downloading for me though is very, very limited. Mostly cause my 3 meg internet service is kind of slow downloading large music bootleg files.

12. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

So vote that you obtain it legally. When i wrote purchase i meant by any means, not just downloading to your hard drive. However, i prefer to have my music library on my hard drive, i feel much safer that way as i know my music library will always be mine.

13. jreamsnyder macrumors member

Ok I'm listening, where do you download your music? Ive been tied to iTunes for a while and have been looking for an alternative place to download music legally

14. Seo macrumors regular

There are free ways to get music legally, but only one I know of that is absolutely and wholly legal. Google Music. It's available in China only (cause the online music market their is TERRIBLE) and serves the same purpose as Hulu, to prevent people from pirating their music. It's got a pretty decent selection, but it takes them a while to get the new music in. It's where I get all my music.

15. AppleMactablet macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

There's Napster-now a legal music service
    Rhapsody-Unlimited 10/month or pay per song

Personally I get 11 Coke caps and from my coke rewards I get a free song from Napster-Both the .99 or 1.29 songs

For me thats a free song every month.Which is good for me

And yes I download all my song legally-I DO NOT burn my friends CD's and do not burn my songs for others-i just tell them how to get/buy their own music

16. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

17. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

How do you legally get free music? I would prefer not to pay a dollar per song.

18. Panther71 macrumors regular

The small percentage of music I download is from legal sources. I occasionally will take advantage of the download sales at Amazon where you can downloads new albums for $3.99. I just got the new Jimmy Webb album for that price.

Most of my iTunes library is from ripped CDs, either from my library or ones that I borrow from our local library.