How many levels of pressure

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bbqthis, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Any info on or way to figure out how many levels of pressure the new iPhone displays can sense? I imagine it's more than 3, since you can tweak the sensitivity of 3D touch.

2. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

3. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Yeah, that's why I asked if there was a way we could figure it out. Maybe it's in the dev documentation? Since 3D touch is available to devs?

4. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

Maybe those that have already received their phone could answer? New Zeland already has their's and of course that one lady with the rose gold on Tuesday

5. atrevers macrumors regular

atrevers

According to a review that I read the other day (I forget which), it's continuous, which is how it's adjustable. It can be demonstrated using the pen tool in Notes - thickness is adjusted by pressure, i.e. It's not binary.

6. mkasu macrumors member

mkasu

I believe the API gives back a float (floating point value) which goes from 1.0 to maximumPossibleForce which is a constant which varies from device to device. I didn't found a maximum force value for 6S/6S+.

So basically that means, I think the developers can freely decide their pressure levels based on this float value.

On top of this, there seems to be extra API for pop and peek as "special values".

Source: https://developer.apple.com/library...tual/Adopting3DTouchOniPhone/3DTouchAPIs.html

7. Bbqthis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis