Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
That's what I thought, but I just finished installing it and it is taking up only 105 for me! Weird that all the news sites should be wrong... Or is it just me?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bottom Bar.png
    Bottom Bar.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 330

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
The firmware is a series of instructions, files, etc. It's not like it's a big folder that is moved onto the phone. The firmware file modifies, refines, changes and adds all sorts of stuff. It's not meant to just be moved onto the iPhone.

Cool. Learn something new every day I guess. I just thought it was the iPod's OS and it just replaced some old files on it when you update. Crazy! :D

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
The firmware is a series of instructions, files, etc. It's not like it's a big folder that is moved onto the phone. The firmware file modifies, refines, changes and adds all sorts of stuff. It's not meant to just be moved onto the iPhone.
Are you sure of that?

At least for version 1.1.4 of the iPod Touch firmware, the IPSW file basically contains three .dmg files, a kernel image, an XML packing list, and a Firmware sub directory containing a copy of the NOR Flash (where the bootloader resides).

From what I've read, the two smaller .dmg files (they're about 18 MB each for version 1.1.4) are basically ramdrive images which contain minimal versions of Mobile OS X itself. When the iPod boots into recovery mode, the bootloader attempts to fetch one of these two images, along with the kernel image, via USB, and then boots into the OS contained in ramdrive to perform the rest of the update/restore process.

The larger of the .dmg files (it's about 132 MB for version 1.1.4) contains an exact image of the complete iPod Touch OS and built-in applications, as it will exist once it's copied over to the NAND Flash.

Keep in mind that the sum of the "Audio", "Video", "Photos", "Other", and "Free Space" categories in iTunes certainly do *not* add up to the total amount of storage space present on the iPod Touch.

For example, I've seen screenshots of iTunes depicting iPod Touches (running firmware version 1.x) reporting "Other" sizes as small as 8 MB. I can guarantee you that the complete functionality of version 1.x of the iPod Touch OS could never have fit within 8 MB.

There is a separate, hidden partition on the iPod Touch's Flash drive (for firmware version 1.x, it was about 300 MB in size) in which the majority of the OS resides. None of the free or occupied space in this partition is included in iTunes' reports.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
HUh?

Cool. Learn something new every day I guess. I just thought it was the iPod's OS and it just replaced some old files on it when you update. Crazy! :D

Seriously? This is a new discovery? Every software has overhead.

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama

Wow! I was totally unaware of all that. Learned something new...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.