How many megapixels are the cameras in iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iRance, Mar 3, 2011.

1. iRance macrumors regular

I don't remember it being mentioned in the keynote. :confused:

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Front- VGA
    Back-0.7MP (less than 1)

same as the iPod touch (4th generation).

3. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

* Back camera: Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio; still camera with 5x digital zoom
    * Front camera: Video recording, VGA up to 30 frames per second with audio; VGA-quality still camera
    * Tap to control exposure for video or stills
    * Photo and video geotagging over Wi-Fi

No where on the Tech Specs of the apple website does it mention it is the same as the iPod touch whose tech specs say this:

Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio; still photos (960 x 720) with back camera

4. iRance thread starter macrumors regular

5. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

It was never mentioned. But it don't really matter, the average person don't care about megapixels according to many here. Does it work? That's all you need to know. :rolleyes:

6. iTouch macrumors 6502

I guess the front would be 0.8MP or so and the back maybe 3 to 5MP. The next question how much RAM does this thing have?

7. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

These are iPad 3 camera specs, not iPad 2.

8. meder87 macrumors regular

Those specs are really disappointing but no one will really take pictures with the iPad. You'll use the iPhone 5 to do that.

9. urkel macrumors 68030

I hate this response. What if you dont have an iPhone. What if you want to create iMovies and rely on the iPad camera to natively capture photos and video? What if you want to output to a 1080p television? What if you want to scan QR's or barcodes? What if you want to take advantage of In-App Check Cashing but can't because the iPad 2 lacks Auto-Focus?

People use the camera for much more than pictures and there are many iPhone 4 Apps that CANT be ported because of an iPad 2 hardware problem that can only be solved buy buying an iPad 3 next year.

10. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I'm so with you on this one.

I, for one, don't have an iPhone, DSLR or point-and-shoot. I'd gladly use iPad's rear camera to take decent pics and play with them, say, in TiltShift photo app.

11. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

iPad 2 does have auto-focus actually. I forget which site I read it at now, it was either Engadget or possibly here. They said it supports the same touch to focus gestures.

12. Rx3 macrumors newbie

If you go to the Camera description page of the iPad 2, it mentions:

Shoot all day and into the night.
    Bring on the candles and little white lights. Go find fireplaces, sunsets, or a sky full of stars. You can get the full effect on iPad without a big flash. The advanced backside illumination sensor lets you capture great moments even in low light.

Maybe the rear camera on the iPad 2 is better than the iPod Touch, but worst than the iPhone 4.

13. urkel macrumors 68030

If it does then that's good news because scanning apps will still work. But I believe what it has isn't Touch to Auto-Focus but rather Touch Auto-Exposure similar to the iPod Touch. You tap the screen and it evaluates lighting in order to optimize the photo... but then it records a terribly grainy shot.

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Always make me laugh when I hear that.

As for the past decade I've heard camera reviewers complain that compact camera's keep packing in more and more megapixels as that's what sells them.

If your average joe goes into a store and sees a 5mp and a 10mp compact camera, they buy the 10mp model as it's better. That's all they understand. They don't think about lens quality, only megapixels.

That's what reviewers have been moaning about. more megapixels sells your camera to the general consumer.

Now people are trying to turn this 180 degrees around and say the average consumer does not care about megapixels.

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yes, now they're using the HD resolutions to sell stuff. "The camera does 720p recording!" Uh, but that's less than 0.9 megapixels. "But it's HD!"