Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HairyPotter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
I see that Apple computers are now supporting DisplayPort. As far as I know, DisplayPort can handle multiple monitors (a sort of USB stuff for video). My question is: how many monitors can I connect to an iMac? Start on the principle that a 20" model can output 1920x1080 pixels and the 27" can output 2560x1440 pixels what resolution will I have on the other monitors? The same? less? How it works?

thanks for the help.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It supports one display with maximum resolution of 2560x1600. If you want to connect more than one, you need to buy an USB dongle or Matrox box

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
You can have up to the native resolution of your second monitor with the miniDisplayPort, but you have to use the dual link adapter if it is anything over 1920x1200. If you want to mirror displays, you will get the max resolution of whichever display has the lower resolution, but that isn't normally the option you use with an extra display.

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
While the DisplayPort specification permits daisy-chaining DP monitors... I don't think the Macs support it?

I don't even know if there are even any monitors out there that provide you the ability to do it in the first place - heh.

If there are such monitors though, someone should give it a try ;)

HairyPotter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
I was happy when I saw the DisplayPort on the iMac, because I dream of having at least a third monitor.

Using the solution of a third monitor thru USB, I wouldn't try that, because the bandwidth required to transmit 1920x1080 @ 30fps, would require 60% of the USB bus and that will make the system slow as hell.

I suppose once the Mac has a DisplayPort it is now a matter of software, driver. One can develop a driver to daisy chain multiple monitors at full or near full resolution. Am I right?

I wonder if this works on a Mac

video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjRyZZ_R6lY

product
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=330-9118

another one here (and this is Mac compatible)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812607008

EDIT: the products I mentioned, in fact, "slices" the maximum output of a DisplayPort in 3 images of 1280x1024, one for each monitor... all 3 monitors are seen as one monitor.... that was not what I am looking for... I want more pixels, not to split the ones I have in multiple monitors.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
There is Matrox DualHead2Go that gives you two 1920x1200 monitors. There is also TripleHead which gives you three 1680x1050

The issue with daisy chaining is that manufacturers have not adopted it as of yet. When they add it to their displays, then it should work

HairyPotter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
There is Matrox DualHead2Go that gives you two 1920x1200 monitors. There is also TripleHead which gives you three 1680x1050

The issue with daisy chaining is that manufacturers have not adopted it as of yet. When they add it to their displays, then it should work

how can this thing transform one VGA image input in two new DVI outputs?
I am sure it works like the other one I mention... it splits the input into two images with less quality.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
how can this thing transform one VGA image input in two new DVI outputs?
I am sure it works like the other one I mention... it splits the input into two images with less quality.

I don't know, maybe VGA can deliver better resolution than single-link DVI can. The Matrox box is an external GPU so it can convert the signal to be digital.

edjrwinnt

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
North Ridgeville, Ohio
I can connect a new 27" LED MAC monitor when it comes out this month to a late 2009 27" IMAC via displayport, right? This is kind of a stupid question but I want to be sure before I spend $1,000.

Thank you in advance.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I can connect a new 27" LED MAC monitor when it comes out this month to a late 2009 27" IMAC via displayport, right? This is kind of a stupid question but I want to be sure before I spend $1,000.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, just use the MiniDP cable that is supplied with the 27" ACD

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm pretty sure the iMac is taller than the 27" display [and since they are not height adjustable], I would suggest getting 2 mounting arms to make them level or use a block of wood.

edjrwinnt

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
North Ridgeville, Ohio
Thank you very much for the feedback. I did read on the "coming soon" 27" LED monitor page on Apple's site that it would work with my 27" Imac. I got burned buying a $30 adapter for my 2007 Mac Mini that I thought would allow me to connect it to my late 2009 IMac, but it didn't work so it made me a little paranoid.

The next thing is that I want to buy a new Mac Mini Server and I was hoping there would be a 2nd input on the new 27" LED monitor, but it doesn't look like that's the case. I know I can remote control it from another MAC, but I would like the MAC Mini to be able to use the 27" LED monitor to get it setup first. I guess it's not that big of a deal though.

I didn't think about the height adjustment to make both monitors at the same level. My biggest concern was how much nicer and different the LED monitor may look next to my 2009 IMAC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.