How many months or years would you wait for a significant promotion?

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
2,139
0
Finally I have arrived.....
Typically, you can get an annual raise around the end or beginning of the year. I have known many former and current colleagues who worked at the same company for many years (+10 years) without significant promotions (even though they are getting normal annual raises).

How many months/years would you be willing to invest in your career/job if you don't get the significant promotion (such as from sales assistant to sales mgr or director, operations agent to operations manager, and etc).

I quit my previous job after 5 years and I am with this employer for 3 years now.
 

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
1,561
35
YS2003 said:
Typically, you can get an annual raise around the end or beginning of the year. I have known many former and current colleagues who worked at the same company for many years (+10 years) without significant promotions (even though they are getting normal annual raises).

How many months/years would you be willing to invest in your career/job if you don't get the significant promotion (such as from sales assistant to sales mgr or director, operations agent to operations manager, and etc).

I quit my previous job after 5 years and I am with this employer for 3 years now.
Sounds like you work in the defense industry. For some reason promotions just do not exist in that line of work. I live by a single rule.."Never stay in a job for more than 2 years". If you are not promoted then apply for a new position in the same company.

I have done this a few times and it seems to work well for me. Of course, durations between promotions will vary greatly depending on the type of work.

What do you do?

Hickman
 

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
2,139
0
Finally I have arrived.....
Thanks for your post. I am in the sales/marketing for international trade (business-to-business sales/marketing). May I ask how you thought I am in the defense industry?
 

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
15,929
1
Portland, OR
Let's see.. I've been here for 12 years... :mad:

Unfortunately, it's a window-centric industry and I'm a (the only) Mac Guru. There's a glass ceiling. It's nearly time to move on.
 

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
1,561
35
YS2003 said:
Thanks for your post. I am in the sales/marketing for international trade (business-to-business sales/marketing). May I ask how you thought I am in the defense industry?
I only said it because the defense industry is notorious for not giving promotions.
 

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
2,139
0
Finally I have arrived.....
yellow said:
Let's see.. I've been here for 12 years... :mad:

Unfortunately, it's a window-centric industry and I'm a (the only) Mac Guru. There's a glass ceiling. It's nearly time to move on.
Yeah, I agree. You should be definitely due for a promotion with some other companies if not this one you are working for now. I know I won't hesitate moving on to the different job if I were working for a same position for over 10 years.