How many movies and where from?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by alehel, Apr 20, 2010.

  1. alehel macrumors member

    Apr 19, 2010
    I was just wondering how many movies people tend to have on their Apple TV and where they come from.

    At the moment I only have 12 movies. 4 animated short films and 8 feature length films. All the feature length films are ripped from DVD. 3 of the animation shorts are Pixar films from the iTunes store (purchased when I lived in the UK) and the last one, Big Buck Bunny, is a legally free download from the internet.

    In about 3 weeks time, my library will be much, MUCH, bigger. I'm going home for a week, during which my Mac will spend the majority of it's time copying DVD's to my Mac so I can watch them away from home :D. As encoding takes so long, I'll simply automate it to rip DVD ISO's to my external HD, and then convert using HandBrake at a later point. I need to try and transfer as many films as possible while I'm home, as I don't go home all that often.

    Also, I'm buying a lot of new films now that I noticed how crazy cheap DVD boxsets are on I just purchased two boxsets. Planet of the Apes (all 5 original movies) and the Alien series (contains all films and a bunch of bonus material on a total of 9 discs). Both cost under 10 pounds each :D. I had originally moved over to purchasing only blu-ray, but I actually went back to purchasing regular DVD again recently for two reasons. 1. The prices are really low for box sets now, maybe due to people moving over to blu-ray and 2) DVD's are considerably easier to convert for the Apple TV. I find that doing the blu-ray discs to be a pain. You don't always get chapter markers, it's a pain to get AC3, it's a pain to get the forced subtitiles inn due to pgs, etc. Also, I'm not going to bother untill HandBrake supports doing all this out of the box. Until then, DVD's will do me just fine.
  2. macrazee macrumors regular

    Jan 4, 2009
    There's an entire thread on this, search for "Out Of Control" and you should find it :)

    I personally have ~550 movies and about 30 TV Shows on my AppleTV's. They are almost exclusively from DVDs I own; A few I have purchased from iTunes Store but not too many.
  3. utazdevl macrumors regular


    Jul 18, 2008
    526 movies and 2775 TV episodes from 185 Unique TV shows.

    98% of my movies come from DVD's I own (All for iPod 5G level at a data rate of no less than 1100K). The other 2% come from studio provided Digital Copies that come with my DVD or Blu-ray. I think I have bought 1 movie from iTunes (Air Force One), mostly for experimentation.

    75% of my TV episodes come from the DVD's I own. The other 25% are over the air recordings (all commercials edited out, if applicable) i captured using my EyeTV Hybrid.

    I am pretty proud of my collection, and literally rip every DVD the day I buy it. I am attached to physical media, but LOVE having every movie in my physical collection a couple of clicks away without having to touch the discs. It is particularly good for my 3 year old, who loves watching movies, but his tastes change quickly (sometimes, mid-movie).
  4. Kcissem D macrumors member

    Apr 6, 2010
    Just started building my library which will be HD blu Ray rips only. Since I just bought an apple tv, blu Ray rom for My macbook pro That I use as a media center which has a 4 TB external attached my collection is only 2 movies, 25 tv episodes of season 1 lost so far. Currently ripping and encoding band of brothers with many others to go.

Share This Page